TA Role Permissions Edit

0 Likes
(4)

Currently TA permissions are very similar to that of the Teacher.  I had a recent incident where a TA modified the grading schemes, changing the gradebook settings to automatically apply deduction to late submissions.  This caused a ripple effect that effectively lowered the grade of every student in the course by a full-letter grade.

The TA role should have the editable options of permissions such that course-level settings such as grading schemes, post/hide grades, grade posting policies can not be altered.

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

TiffanyStull
Community Participant

I agree.  I would also recommend that the grading permissions be made more granular so that instructors can restrict in which tools TAs can grade, e.g., Assignments vs. Quizzes vs. Gradebook.

re3
Community Novice

Absolutely.  TA grading permissions need to be much more granular.  Thanks for your comment.

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

Absolutely and wholeheartedly agree! 

This is something that I literally lose sleep over.  I have had a few very serious issues in the past, although not too many, involving TAs 'expressing creativity' with editing course content, deciding on their own to change deadlines to suit the students' requests despite syllabus policies and not discussing with me prior to changing, changing grades on specific auto-graded questions on demand without discussing with me (and TA not actually understanding how to answer questions), etc...  Being able to customize TA access would reduce the number of admonishments I need to give, would streamline training new TAs in that they wouldn't be confused by options they don't need to try to access, etc.  Please consider a robust TA access/permissions dashboard for teachers!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.