[Gradebook] Tag for Comments Made (NEW Gradebook)

As we look forward to New Gradbook, I have a teacher asking for a feature.  She's asking for:

"...a little symbol, like a notch in the corner, to show that the teacher has made a comment on the grade in the gradebook.  In [our grading system], if we made a comment, we could see in the box that a comment was there, without needing to click on it."

So something similar to when in a spreadsheet in google, and when someone makes a "comment" to the cell, you see a little corner tab.....

In this way the teacher knows visually, quickly, which students received a comment -- without having to enter each graded item in the Speeedgrader.

10 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

It would also be nice to have such a tag display when students post a comment of their own

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
cerise_myers
Community Member

I want this so badly! Especially in a large class, I'd like to know at a glance to whom I've given additional feedback in the gradebook.

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Agreed, students need to be able to see new comments at a glance, and teachers need to be aware of responses at a glance. Not sure if anything has changed since we enabled new gradebook, but we were advising instructors to provide instructions for students on how to look for comments. Something I would not have expected should be required.

kathleen_claass
Community Member

Yes please!!!  Too many times, students miss that there are comments on assignments, and it limits the feedback to a simple grade.

KHatton_AL
Community Member

YES! Please!

I see this has been asked for in many different suggestions.

HeatherAbello
Community Member

YES!!!  This would save a tremendous amount of time clicking around.  I little carat in the upper corner is all that is needed.  Thank you. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Fursty
Community Participant
Problem statement:

When students make a comment on an assignment submission - especially AFTER the assignment has been seen and graded by the instructor - is there any way to KNOW such later comment has been made other than just Canvas emailed notification? That does not seem very effective to be sure we catch all student comments made after the fact. It would be nice if there were some clearly visible notification in the course site/grade center: a colored icon or at least a notice in the course home page (with the list of other notices re: submissions and such).

Proposed solution:

Create a NEW Notification and It would be nice if there were some clearly visible notification in the course site/grade center: a colored icon or at least a notice in the course home page (with the list of other notices re: submissions and such).

User role(s):

instructor