Tailor Announcements to specific sections or groups

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be useful to have the ability to tailor Announcements to specific sections or groups in a course.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14284-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-10 .

52 Comments
stacy_lambert
Community Contributor

Agree on the drop down menu. I am too late to vote, but glad to see it is in product radar. At the moment I just title my announcements with the class or who the announcement is for. Thanks again.

RobDitto
Community Champion

You're not too late to vote! Just make sure you are logged into the Community with your Canvas Account.

Community Novice

We really need to be able to specify a section for announcements in our clerkship courses.  Our clerkships have multiple rounds throughout the year that overlap.  This is the key component that is preventing us from using sections.  A simple dropdown menu when creating the announcement with the sections listed would be perfect!

sworrell
Community Novice

This would be such a valuable addition and not having the ability to make "announcements" to individual "sections" makes using "sections" more challenging and less useful. I've been asking for this improvement for over a yr so hopefully more people will speak up. At some point if I can't contact the individual "sections" of my classes through "announcements" without confusing the other sections/periods, I can't use Canvas "sections" and then why are we... I think the majority of teachers (at least HS and college) teach more than one period/section of a course, do we not?

paula_d_levy
Community Participant

I would also like to tailor announcements to specific students.  

emily_pope
Community Novice

I have 3 cohorts of students all within the same Canvas course for blended learning professional development programs. The online learning experience will be the same across cohorts, but each cohort has a different live, face to face experience. I want to tailor announcements about the in-person workshops so they only go to the cohort that the announcement applies to. Sending a coursewide announcement is problematic, as students don't read carefully and receive the wrong information. In addition, our live workshops vary a little depending on the cohort and location, and we try not to publicize this. Sending cohort-specific announcements is very important. Adding these cohorts in current Canvas functionality as "groups" would require me to post announcements on a "group page," which students will struggle to find. In addition, in "groups" students can also create annoucements. I do not want to create a group space for each cohort where they have so much autonomy, I just want to be able to send clear messaging to specific groups.

sworrell
Community Novice

Yep, same needs here. I'm sure the ability to target sections is coming soon as so many people say they need this. I feel like a simple dropdown in announcements that lets you select individual sections or, by default, the whole course would be the perfect answer.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Idea is currently in development

As part of the Khaki priority, Large Course: Sections/Groups, we’re excited to announce progress on this feature. Section-Specific Announcements is in development.  We will post to this thread when we have more updates!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I'm sure you're all excited to see what this looks like, so we have a little preview for you!  

*Note the sections listed below the Announcement Title!

262810_pastedImage_1.png

*Check out that awesome 'post to' option!

262868_pastedImage_2.png

rebecca_goldswo
Community Novice

Can't wait for this to be pushed through! I hope the trials are going well. Any idea when we're likely to see this added as a feature?