Tailor Announcements to specific sections or groups

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be useful to have the ability to tailor Announcements to specific sections or groups in a course.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14284-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-03-10 .

52 Comments
huangdengpan
Community Member

It is very useful , hope to see it could be finish development as soon as possible.

Thanks Development Team.

rasmussen_63
Community Novice

My colleagues and I are currently abusing the Assignments feature in order to automatically release information to different sections at different times, but it's a hack, and it's counterintuitive for both them and us. Sectioned Announcements are the Right Thing and I await them eagerly.

(The use case is hints and help for an ongoing, difficult assignment. Each section has different class days and thus a different homework schedule.)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-02-26) .

tuf77315
Community Novice

Please add this feature as soon as possible. We want to have different groups within the same class and be able to send them tailored announcements as well as announcements to the whole class.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@tuf77315  Did you read the Beta Release Notes we linked to?  It gives you the release timeline.

tuf77315
Community Novice

I see that announcements will be able to be sent to different sections - will instructors be able to send them to different 'groups' as well? Or does this mean that we will need to create separate sections within a class so we can send them customized emails or did I miss that sending emails to groups as an instructor will be added at a later point?4

Thank you for your prompt reply!

hpalmersheim
Community Novice

You can currently send emails to groups.  I go to the People tab and then click on your Group Set.  Next in the Groups click on the three dots to the right of the group name, Visit Group Homepage.  Then a new announcement can be created from there.  If you have a lot of groups to send to it can be a lot of clicks. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-03-10) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New