[Modules] Task "Check Off" in Modules

I have had several students request that they have the ability to "check off" and "flag" certain items within a modules.  They would like to be able to "check off" when something is completed and flag things to come back to, similar to an email inbox.  

43 Comments
h0413642
Community Novice

As an extension to this it would be nice to mark calendar events as completed.

don_bryn
Community Champion

I've been trying to figure out a way to have a checklist for students and this would be exactly what I am looking for.  We need incoming students to complete a checklist (fill out financial aid forms, see an advisor, audition for ensemble, take a placement test, etc. ), and it would be so easy to create the list in Canvas using assignments if only the students could see a checklist to see which ones have been completed!   Please let me know if this becomes possible.

kem5878
Community Novice

I agree! I am a student and have suggested this feature here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10566-calendar-manually-cross-out-assignment-mark-as-completed . Smiley Happy

rbarnes5
Community Novice

As a student, this is exactly what we need. Some teachers publish a module that has a lot of content; and as a working professional, I have to log back in multiple times to get a module completed. Every time I log back in I have to reorient myself and click on items to determine what I have completed. I track it on my own through paper but I think this would be such a simple feature to add. All I need is the option to check off an item. 

I also think this would a good feature for the student to enable without having the teacher activate the feature when they publish the modules. I only say this because not all teachers would use the feature and the feature is more for the student to keep organized...it's not really for the teachers. 

But I greatly appreciate the teachers that are trying to implement this feature. 

slh73
Community Participant

I think this is a great way for students to be able to better keep track of their progress within a module. This could also be tied to some type of progress bar as posted in these previous ideas:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5516  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2426" modifiedtitle="true" title="Progress bar for courses

We use a different system for  non-academic courses and they have just implemented progress tracking for required items and students find it very helpful to have this visual map toward completion. 

caryn
Community Member

In a similar vein, I would actually like a way to create something like a roadmap that has all the "required" and "supplemental" items listed alongside a checkbox. Ideally, this would retain the students' activity, so if they check something off, it stays checked off. 

The items could include videos to watch, items to read, assignments to submit, group check-ins, and much more. I'm mostly looking for a way to say "If you're on track this week, you'll complete these..."

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

There is a new feature that is related to your idea.  You'll want to check out the Student To-Do list in the 

Canvas Release Notes (2018-08-04) 

caryn
Community Member

Hi Renee,

This is a very nice update to the system! Thanks for letting us know about the new release.

I think, from my perspective, I would like the checklist to not be associated with any specific assignment. Here's the use case. For a given week, the students need to read three things, comment on a discussion (ungraded), and contribute to a group assignment. Each of those items would be included in more of a roadmap, and not as an assignment. Granted, I could create an assignment that is not counted in the calculated score and has no submission, but it is just much cleaner to have a single "roadmap" that includes all of the various things that need to be done. 

As an aside, I also use the roadmap to prepare the students for coming assignments / projects. So, for example, I could have a large capstone project, with various milestones throughout the course. I would prefer to include the milestones in this type of list, and have only the capstone as an assignment. 

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense (or if I'm missing a perfectly brilliant solution...). 

Thanks!

hinrsd21
Community Novice

Well said, Rahcel! This is exactly what I want. It is a waste of time to reorient every time I log in. 

lia_kruegerwile
Community Novice

I wish it would show that the assignment was submitted on the Modules page. I have to constantly click back and forth to make sure I've done assignments. It is especially difficult when you have an instructor who gives multiple assignments in a week. Canvas may be great for instructors (as mine say this) but Blackboard was perfect for students. It showed a summary of your weekly assignments and marked "completed" after you submitted the assignment or took the test for that week.