cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Task "Check Off" in Modules

Task "Check Off" in Modules

(5)

I have had several students request that they have the ability to "check off" and "flag" certain items within a modules.  They would like to be able to "check off" when something is completed and flag things to come back to, similar to an email inbox.  

40 Comments
kerstin_jarosc1
Community Participant

That would be a really great feature!

lia_kruegerwile
Community Member

I've posted the same thing. Blackboard automatically checked the assignments off once you submitted them. It was a wonderful feature. Canvas really needs to update it to user-friendly. 

Community Member

Some accommodations for students include checklists. This would be a great way for students to keep track of what has been completed or what needs to be visited/revisited. i like the idea of colored flags as well.

opttie
Community Member

Check box for course progress tracking for students internally.  Have a checkbox next to each item uploaded into the course content or per module.  When the student feels comfortable with the content reviewed or has reviewed the item.  This will allow them to track where they are in the course (in case students fall behind or need to review certain areas) to provide internal marking.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@opttie Your students may find the Dashboard List View useful.  It won't have all module content, but it will help them track anything with a due date.

helenewillits
Community Member

While Canvas does a great job of helping students keep track of their completed assignments based on if they have been submitted or not, students can encounter issues with this when teachers create assignments that do not have a submission or incorrectly upload group assignments as individual assignments (so that they show as "missing" even if another group member has submitted it). This feature would allow students to take more control over their assignments and calendar, making it easier to track assignments despite any issues on the professor's side of the course.

Ben91
Community Member

Hello, I just had a simple idea to maybe have a check box next to each of the daily assignments. Just so as parents we can get a quick glimpse of how far we are in the day and help time things effectively. 

elr
Community Member

I would love to have a box that I could mark as done or important beside each item in the modules. I have many videos assigned by teachers and files that I need to print that they have uploaded. I have wasted time opening the same files numerous times because without a way for me to mark them I can't tell until I open it that I've already completed the task.

TS6
Community Member

There needs to be a check box next to each assignment in the assignments page and modules page where students can mark assignments as complete.  When I open certain tasks it does not indicate the activity is complete and I and 0/XX points, thus I start it again.  Or it indicates this is attempt two of XX automatically when I have already submitted the assignment I do not know if opening it a second time erases the first attempt.  some professors have different areas where they post assignments it would be nice to visually see when one is complete without having to open it up.  

elmk
Community Member

We (teachers/instructors) at the intermediate school level have found that our students need a check box for done or completed work that does not or even does have a submission. Our students are struggling with knowing what they have and have not completed in their assignments and modules. SOme of the modules do not have submissions to show they completed the work. 

Would it be possible to have a check box for if they completed an item and have it visible on the assignment or modules page for easy reference? 

SPEXstudent33
Community Member

Have a tick box function so you can keep on top of the work you have and haven't done yet PLEASE would be so so helpful!!

SPEXstudent33
Community Member

And also be super useful with uni all being online this year

karenca
Community Member

I agree this would make things so much easier for students to navigate their assignments.  My students are in Middle School and have a hard time with all their many classes. Their To-Do list is a mile long with every assignment and announcement etc. from every class - they don't even look at it anymore.  The Checkboxes would be a great way while in each class to see what they have completed and what they needed to still do.  Most of them go to the grade book to see what assignments are not completed and then they try to go back and do them (but some assignments don't link back very well and it is a pain to teach them that they have to go back to modules and open the assignment up again.  The biggest problem with students relying on the grade book for what they should do next is that they are always behind.  I've tried adding the checkboxes to my modules with limited success as there are some items that are not required but should be viewed and maybe only one item that needs to be done in a particular order.  Maybe my modules are too long as I organize by unit and not by week, but It got confusing for the students and I had too many get locked out of assignments and not be able to stay current with us while they worked on backtracking the assignments they missed while they were sick so I gave up on checkbox requirements.  I would love to see more options on the checkboxes and have something as simple as adding a checkbox that the student can fill in when they have completed the assignment or page or etc.  It would be amazing if a check would appear when they submitted their assignments.

Melindahl
Community Member

It would be nice to have the option to check off videos once they are watched, as well as the reading portions once they have been read...and then perhaps have a mini quiz on each reading portion and video with a quiz score for feedback.

rubesroses
Community Member

For example, once one section or part of a module has been completed, a tick would be displayed on the right hand side of the place in which you click on the section. this would help students track where they are up to and what they are yet to complete. This function could be toggled on and off to allow individuals to customise their learning experience

TonyMinaya
Community Member

modules for many of my classes have items or sections. To the right of them on the main module screen it would be helpful to see a check box where the student can "check off" items that were already viewed or completed.

This needs to be a manual "on/off" button.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @TonyMinaya ...

This is already possible in Canvas (if I'm understanding your question correctly).  Check out this Guide:

How do I mark a module item as done for a module requirement?

TonyMinaya
Community Member

The buttons will only show up if the instructor selects that option. Currently there isn’t any buttons within the modules nor any other place within my classes. 

students frequently resort to using outside tools to track what have been done and what been looked at 

hito
Community Participant

Can the "Mark as Done" requirement be added to the Discussion assignment type? 

The reason why this important: 

Say the discussion assignment requirements include submitting one discussion post AND replying to other students' posts.  

Currently, the only options are to "submit," "contribute to the page," "score at least," and "view." 
However, "Submit" and "Contribute" will both be checked off if any interaction is made to the discussion. Therefore, students should be able to "mark as done" when they are certain they have met the assignment requirements. 

There have been Canvas Community posts about this same subject, and having a "mark as done" will solve all of our issues. 

Haidsong
Community Member

Hello,

We use Canvas in preschool and kindergarten so it is the parent who is actually using and maintaining the student account. 
Parent is requesting that each item in the module would have a check box for them to keep track of items they have seen/printed etc.

Hope Instructure can find a way to program that function/feature in. 

Thanks. 

About Idea Conversations
In the Instructure Community Ideas space, you can share, converse, and rate idea conversations related to software improvements to Instructure products.