[Modules] Task "Check Off" in Modules

I have had several students request that they have the ability to "check off" and "flag" certain items within a modules.  They would like to be able to "check off" when something is completed and flag things to come back to, similar to an email inbox.  

43 Comments
SPEXstudent33
Community Novice

Have a tick box function so you can keep on top of the work you have and haven't done yet PLEASE would be so so helpful!!

SPEXstudent33
Community Novice

And also be super useful with uni all being online this year

karenca
Community Explorer

I agree this would make things so much easier for students to navigate their assignments.  My students are in Middle School and have a hard time with all their many classes. Their To-Do list is a mile long with every assignment and announcement etc. from every class - they don't even look at it anymore.  The Checkboxes would be a great way while in each class to see what they have completed and what they needed to still do.  Most of them go to the grade book to see what assignments are not completed and then they try to go back and do them (but some assignments don't link back very well and it is a pain to teach them that they have to go back to modules and open the assignment up again.  The biggest problem with students relying on the grade book for what they should do next is that they are always behind.  I've tried adding the checkboxes to my modules with limited success as there are some items that are not required but should be viewed and maybe only one item that needs to be done in a particular order.  Maybe my modules are too long as I organize by unit and not by week, but It got confusing for the students and I had too many get locked out of assignments and not be able to stay current with us while they worked on backtracking the assignments they missed while they were sick so I gave up on checkbox requirements.  I would love to see more options on the checkboxes and have something as simple as adding a checkbox that the student can fill in when they have completed the assignment or page or etc.  It would be amazing if a check would appear when they submitted their assignments.

Melindahl
Community Novice

It would be nice to have the option to check off videos once they are watched, as well as the reading portions once they have been read...and then perhaps have a mini quiz on each reading portion and video with a quiz score for feedback.

rubesroses
Community Novice

For example, once one section or part of a module has been completed, a tick would be displayed on the right hand side of the place in which you click on the section. this would help students track where they are up to and what they are yet to complete. This function could be toggled on and off to allow individuals to customise their learning experience

TonyMinaya
Community Member

modules for many of my classes have items or sections. To the right of them on the main module screen it would be helpful to see a check box where the student can "check off" items that were already viewed or completed.

This needs to be a manual "on/off" button.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @TonyMinaya ...

This is already possible in Canvas (if I'm understanding your question correctly).  Check out this Guide:

How do I mark a module item as done for a module requirement?

TonyMinaya
Community Member

The buttons will only show up if the instructor selects that option. Currently there isn’t any buttons within the modules nor any other place within my classes. 

students frequently resort to using outside tools to track what have been done and what been looked at 

hito
Community Explorer

Can the "Mark as Done" requirement be added to the Discussion assignment type? 

The reason why this important: 

Say the discussion assignment requirements include submitting one discussion post AND replying to other students' posts.  

Currently, the only options are to "submit," "contribute to the page," "score at least," and "view." 
However, "Submit" and "Contribute" will both be checked off if any interaction is made to the discussion. Therefore, students should be able to "mark as done" when they are certain they have met the assignment requirements. 

There have been Canvas Community posts about this same subject, and having a "mark as done" will solve all of our issues. 

Haidsong
Community Member

Hello,

We use Canvas in preschool and kindergarten so it is the parent who is actually using and maintaining the student account. 
Parent is requesting that each item in the module would have a check box for them to keep track of items they have seen/printed etc.

Hope Instructure can find a way to program that function/feature in. 

Thanks.