Teacher Toggle Option for Original Submission being "Submission of Record" for "Late" designation

0 Likes
(3)

Let's say a student submits an original submission for an assignment on time. I grade it and provide feedback. I allow the student to re-submit for an improved grade. However, that student submits his/her resubmission after the due date. Canvas Gradebook policy currently considers that re-submission to be "late." I find that to be an odd policy. The original submission was on time. I know I can edit the re-submission from "late" to "none" for that student in SpeedGrader, but I would suspect most teachers would agree that re-submission should have never been considered "late" in the first place.

Obviously it would need to be a case-by-case judgement of the "worthiness" of the original on-time submission, but I think an option for teachers in Gradebook would be nice. I've looked at Gradebook Settings and there doesn't appear to be a place to have Canvas consider the original submission as the "submission of record" when it comes to on time and late submission consideration. Could this be considered as a Gradebook option for teachers in the future? 

2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.