Teacher and Observer (Dual Role Account)

0 Likes
(3)

Based on the popularity in the thread Teacher of some courses AND parent observer, it feels like there's an opportunity to open up this as a conversation!

Right now, Teachers are unable to add a student to observe without a workaround. The problem with this is the workaround would allow students to observe each other (and that's not a good solution to share openly as it could lead to cheating). 

Teachers who elect to combine their Canvas roles into one account would benefit from having the "Observing" button within the Account Settings. How do I link a student to my user account as an observer? A teacher who does not add a student from their district/institution in this space would have an uninterrupted experience.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

araiche
Community Member

I'd be interested in the work around. Feel free to send me a message about it!

MrsJ226
Community Novice

@KristinL  could I please have the workaround? Thank you!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

For everyone participating in this discussion, our Customer Success team has provided the teacher-parent/observer solution to the local Canvas admins for your schools. Please direct future requests for assistance to the Canvas admin or eLearning department in your organization.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

MeghanPlott
Community Member

It would be helpful if teachers could use a students' pairing code to make the teachers observers. For certain roles, such as tutors, paraprofessionals, IA, etc, being able to observe a student's grades in all their classes would be ideal. I know teachers could making themselves observers using their personal email, but I don't want my personal email to be clogged up with emails from students from work. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.