Teacher changes in 1-to-Many Rostering, Creates Blanks Courses

0 Likes
(1)

Currently, the rostering process for 1-to-Many Rostering incorporated the Teacher ID from the SIS (PowerSchool in our case) when creating auto cross-listed classes. Therefore, when a Teacher changes mid-semester/year when the SIS sync occurs, an entirely new group of blank courses are created, leaving the new teacher or Canvas Admins to cross-list the old courses with data with the newly created blank ones. Surely there is a way to accomplish 1-to-many rostering and account for mid-year teacher changes. 

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing this idea, @CoreyMcNeill . I shared your request with our product manager for SIS integrations, and this was the reply:

• The 1:M issue happens regardless of SIS provider. When Canvas pulls data from a SIS source, we set up a mapping set to combine similar sections to be associated to one course in Canvas. This is often set as something like school year, term, course code/number, teacher ID, school ID. This is set up so that sections being taught in the same year, term, school, course, all by the same teacher are each sent to one single course shell. This means that if the teacher changes, a different course ID is sent to Canvas, because the teacher ID has changed. The same would be true if any of the other values changed, but they rarely do. We often recommend that if teacher's are changing often within a school/district, that a 1:1 course layout should be used. This would allow for cross-listing of sections, and course IDs wouldn't be changed when there is a teacher adjustment. It should be noted that a course-section layout likely can't be changed while there are ongoing participants in the course (the same would be true for cross-listing, it shouldn't be done after students have submitted work).

His advice is that schools that would like to change their course-section layout should work with their Customer Success Manager (CSM) or Canvas support to discuss and implement options.

Hope this helps, Corey.

CoreyMcNeill
Community Member
Author

@Stef_retired do not archive my request. This idea board post was at the recommendation of my CSM team for the State of North Carolina. If we cannot use this board as a place to request updates, please tell me where to do so. I have spoken with an Instruture employee who states this can be done for 1:M rostering and retaining the original classes even after a teacher of record is changed. Also, I know for a fact this code has been developed and is currently in beta for customers in another state. I am requesting that it be added for ALL Canvas accounts. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@CoreyMcNeill  Thanks for your quick reply. I'll ask the product manager to have another look.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@CoreyMcNeill  I've now discussed this with the CSM and product manager. Your CSM will contact you directly next week to assist with this.