Teacher read aloud with assignment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

This feature is available in assignment descriptions only—it is not supported for quizzes. Please add feedback about quizzes in Microsoft Immersive Reader in More of Canvas - Instructure Community.

In the rich text editor, teachers can easily upload a quick audio message for directions. We want this option for the assignment itself, so that a teacher could record a read aloud that students could pause, play, or rewind WHILE viewing the assignment. We have several students who benefit from and legally require read alouds, the immersive reader is not available in assignments. Also, any text to speech option is not the same as a read aloud because it does not accurately read symbols, blanks, and often reads unnecessary text that may be included by publishers of resources we use. 

For example, I want to assign a 3-question quiz for students to complete in Canvas markup. I want to be able to record myself reading the directions and question stems for students and for students it would show up as a bar across the bottom potentially where they can play, rewind, etc. to progress at their own pace.

12 Comments
kileytenbrink
Community Novice

I agree this would be beneficial for all primary students!

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

victorialynch
Community Member

We have many kids who NEED this accommodation - Canvas is almost impossible without it for many of our students with disabilities. 

bridgetfarrell
Community Member

I could see this being incredibly beneficial for both primary students who are still learning to read and especially for those students who need this accommodation. This feature would be a huge step forward for accessibility in Canvas.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Also, consider adding your support to the conversation underway at Immersive Reader in Assignments - Canvas Community 

paul_stisser
Community Explorer

ReadSpeaker offers a certified feature that does this out of the box.  Also, here is a recent Canvas Live Stream on ReadSpeaker and Pasco eSchool. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XC671mLKuU

joannaroche
Community Explorer

Thank you @paul_stisser , I looked into ReadSpeaker and it is an external tool that our district will not be able to use because of the cost. This is a feature we want available within Canvas without adding an additional resource.

paul_stisser
Community Explorer

I looked it up and I think 3 other people from your district have reached out to me.  I see I also followed up with an email.  Let me know if we can put together a pilot program for you to support. your needs.  I am here to help!  

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) .

This feature is available in assignment descriptions only—it is not supported for quizzes. Please add feedback about quizzes in Microsoft Immersive Reader in More of Canvas - Instructure Community.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed