Team Drive Access via Google Docs Cloud Assignment

(7)

When creating an assignment using the "Google Cloud Assignment" option, you can select files located in "My Drive".  With the release of Google's Team Drives, teachers should have the ability to select files located in a "Team Drive" in addition to "My Drive".

27 Comments
mjoaquin
Community Participant

I am running in to this need now as well! Our Curriculum team is using Team Drive and we have worked with them to migrate to Canvas, but they can't easily embed their curriculum docs because they can't access Team Drive. 

johnmartin
Community Champion

I would also love to see integration with Team Drives, as we've got more and more multi-instructor courses.

sshaw
Community Novice

I agree!  Integration of Team Drives will be crucial moving forward as many of the teachers we are training are starting to move their shared stuff into Team Drives.  

rafael_chavez
Community Novice

Google Team Drives are a fantastic feature which I, like many others, plan to use heavily at work. Access to them will be essential and it should be added to Canvas. Unfortunately, the content in the drives is totally independent of My Drive and unless I am missing something, there is no way to make it show in my personal drive. I even tried to triangulate with a different account without success. I am not sure if the solution lies with Canvas or with Google, but please work on it!

johnmartin
Community Champion

Any news on this? Seems like more of a default thing than a request.

matthew_r_mcgol
Community Contributor

True story! How else can we get the message out?

john_reiels
Community Novice

Our curriculum teams are using Team Drive to develop/organize Google Docs that they are hoping link into Blueprint courses.  Team Drive enables us to keep content together regardless of who is teaching a course from one year to the next and enables us to keep the content if a teacher should leave our district.  The inability to see Team Drive content from inside of Canvas reduces the efficiency we can leverage by using Team Drive.

nathan_campbell
Community Participant

We are slowly rolling out Team Drives here in Brookline, MA and I just had a Coordinator ask about Team Drive + Canvas integration .....I'm at a loss. How can we fully leverage the power of Team Drives if Canvas does not allow us to select the Team Drive at the top level of our G Suite menu ...... -_______- 

matthew_r_mcgol
Community Contributor

Agreed! Tell your folks to vote this up!

nathan_campbell
Community Participant

Already pushed it out to my team!!!!

john_reiels
Community Novice

I agree  @nathan_campbell .  Team Drives clearly exist as an entity separate from the rest of Google Drive, so it may be a matter of needing another Google LTI to be able to see Team Drives, but we need something so we can see Team Drives.  If we continue to use Team Drives, teachers will need to make copies of the files they place in the Team Drive so they could place them in Drive so they can see them from within Canvas.  That is a step backwards in becoming a more collaborative environment and so we are thinking of not using Team Drives for collaboration until this is resolved.

nathan_campbell
Community Participant

The 'hack' that I've shared with one of our coordinators piloting team drives is that she and her teachers can use Shareable links to post the URL to an item located in a Team Drive in the rich content editor in Canvas.

It works, but goodness it would be a pain to have to engage is this tab jumping copy+paste workflow each time.

Perhaps an additional LTI would be a solution. 

john_reiels
Community Novice

Do your teachers distribute Google Docs as assignments via the External Tools Google Docs LTI?  I'm wondering how the shareable link would work in that instance?  I agree it would be a pain to have to do the tab jumping each time.

This is where our biggest issue is because we have a lot of people distributing Google Docs as assignments (like they previously had done with Google Classroom) and now they need to have a copy in their collaborative Team Drive space as well as in their Google Drive space.

johnmartin
Community Champion

Slightly off the topic of "Google Cloud Assignment" option, and also shared inUsing Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content ), but perhaps there are different folks here who would find this trick useful:

Google documents look much better when embedded if you replace the default "Publish" URL with the URL in the browser.

Bonus Hint: change the last bit of your Google doc link to adjust how it looks: "https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tz_KuiU7ewnys12PdK8l1aLCWAeCWu5PfhwlfYbiqlw/pub?embedded=true" =default

"https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tz_KuiU7ewnys12PdK8l1aLCWAeCWu5PfhwlfYbiqlw/preview" = no toolbar, margins

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tz_KuiU7ewnys12PdK8l1aLCWAeCWu5PfhwlfYbiqlw/edit” = edit mode

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tz_KuiU7ewnys12PdK8l1aLCWAeCWu5PfhwlfYbiqlw/copy” = for links — whoever clicks it gets their own copy of the doc in their personal Google Drive (great for worksheets!).

matthew_r_mcgol
Community Contributor

Reviving this thread a bit since Google is BETA testing their Course Kit LTI. Wondering if this will be addressed via this LTI rather than the Canvas-developed solution. We did apply to join the BETA testing and are hoping to get accepted to do a comparison with an eye on Team Drives for sure.

G Suite Updates Blog: Introducing Course Kit: new ways to collaborate with G Suite in your LMS, desi... 

michele_maurer
Community Novice

This is kind of a huge problem because we do all of our collaborative learning team work in Team Drives.  I am unable to embed items that teams create together without making a copy and saving to my Drive.  Please add this feature! #GoogleTeamDrive 

marie_hone
Community Explorer

I am having the same challenge.  Let me know if you discover a solution until this feature becomes an option.

Marie

kristal_lowes
Community Novice

This is going to be an issue for us as well.  Using team drives with team teachers!

Kristal

heather_pineaul
Community Member

Our entire curriculum is in Team Drive.  It makes no sense for us to have to copy everything from Team Drive into personal drives in order to have the interface with Canvas, or creating PDFs, both of which are counterproductive to collaboration..  Please work on this ASAP!   This is creating more work for us....

heather_hurley
Community Member

As we move forward with collaborative work, having access to Team Drive is really needed.