Template "parent" quizzes/assignments and their children

0 Likes

It would be great if you could set up one "parent" quiz/assignment that contains common settings across all quizzes in a class, then push changes to the parent quiz to all children. Things like the questions within the quiz would change across children, but things like the time limit or number of attempts could be in the parent template. This would make setting up an entire semesters worth of quizzes/assignments a LOT less error-prone. It would also have the advantage that mid-course changes would be much less time-consuming.

For example, let's say I receive notification of a student who needs double time on all quizzes during the semester. The way it is now, I would have to go into each quiz, and modify it by using the "moderate quiz" feature it as appropriate. Because this takes a significant number of clicks each time, it is very easy to inadvertently skip over them. 

With the parent template concept, one could simply moderate the "parent" quiz to allow double time for the student in question, and this would then push to all the children quizzes that had previously been created via the template. 

1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@llachs 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Fortunately, this is how the Moderating feature in New Quizzes is designed: the instructor can extend time for a single student across all quizzes without having to navigate to each quiz separately. Please read through How do I use the Moderation page in New Quizzes? for detailed instructions.

Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated early next year, and since the desired functionality is available in New Quizzes, we've archived this idea. The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you start trying out New Quizzes in a live course; you might need to contact your local Canvas admin if you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings of your course.