The ability to download Pages in an index.

0 Likes
(1)

I would love to have the option to bulk download all my Pages, or individual Pages, in a course as a word doc or PDF. If a Page has a table of some sort, that could be downloaded as an excel. So in summary, downloading them to file types of choice would be nice.

13 Comments
James
Community Champion

While not the same as exporting pages or tables within pages individually, there is already an option that allows for downloading the course content for offline viewing as an epub file. Another option allows for the content to be downloaded as an HTML file. Word and Excel and open HTML files. For ePub, you use Calibre to convert it PDF.

Note that the ability to export content can be disabled by the institution.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lfish  Does the ePub solution work for you?

lfish
Community Member

@stephanie We do not have HTML offline viewing enabled at this point. I will try ePub. But it does not really solve the issue--we have thousands of pages we would like to DL and to go the ePub/HTML conversion route would just be time prohibitive. I will give it a try though.

I would just love to see a button on the Pages page that simply says: Export as... similar to the grades page but gives me that PDF or Word doc automatically.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lfish  Thanks for the quick reply! We've moved this idea forward for broader conversation and hope you'll be able to try out ePub exports in the meantime.

lfish
Community Member

Okay @Stef_retired and @James  I gave the ePub a try and it was nice to be able to do for one course, but the problem is it downloads the entire course and does not give the option for specific or all Pages. A very small course with 3 modules downloaded 74 pages---so that's too much to sift through. I think this would be a valuable feature to add to the roadmap!

Thanks!

James
Community Champion

@lfish, can you explain the use case for this and how you envision it working? If someone selects multiple pages, do they get combined into a single Word document or do they get exported separately inside a ZIP file?

For a quick download for individual pages, you can select the text and copy/paste into Word. You can use the browser's capabilities to save a page as HTML and then open it in Word. You can also print the page to a PDF file, although you might consider a CSS tweak that disables the URL when you print. Currently, Canvas will create a hyperlink, but then print the URL after it. That's nice for accessibility if you are actually printing to paper, but if you're printing to a PDF, it makes for difficult reading.

In general, Canvas doesn't support printing outside of the browser's capability. They do support exporting full course content in some standardized format (epub, html, common cartridge). They are finally working on printing for new Quizzes, but that may be because it was so bad that you could not use the browser's print function.

lfish
Community Member

@James I can see teachers wanting to download pages they design to print for students that need that, but also to save in files in case they move schools or work situations and want their lesson designs in case a cc file isn't transferable. For us, an admin recently requested to be able to bulk download curriculum map standards for another use.

I would say "no" to one big file, but have the option to DL to a zip file for each page separately, and also for each individual page. Once the option is selected, file type to DL to could pop up.

Feature.PNG

James
Community Champion

Thanks for the explanation.

stran1
Community Member

Our student would like to have the option to bulk download all their Pages, or individual Pages, in a group space  as a word doc or PDF.

As an instructor, I can download course content offline - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-view-course-content-offline-as-an-HTML-fil....

However, this feature is not available for student  group

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.