The ability to edit Global Announcements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5 - August 5 Learn more about voting...

It would be nice to also be able to edit a Global Announcement.  Currently If you mess up, you have to recreate the announcement instead of just going in and editing the misspelled word.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-02)

71 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I would like to ask for votes on this includes Global Announcements and creating of categories for Posted/Live, Pending, and Archive.

jjjohnson01
Community Explorer

Being able to edit the Global Announcements will really be a time and effort saver! Get this in the mix, now!

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

This is a great idea, and we've been hearing about it more recently in our Announcements/Conversations interviews. My guess is that it's a feature that was considered done enough to release and we never circled back around to upgrade it, but there may be other limitations I haven't considered. I will workshop this with the team and reply here with an update.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That would be great!! Thanks for the update!

rshirley_teache
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I think this idea is great because it would give the ability to add a schools google calendar or google slides to provide additional information to users.

Examples:

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 9.30.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 9.29.39 PM.png

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Today I felt pretty dumb as I had to edit the same announcement about three different times because of silly mistakes I was making (and also wanting to add a bit more to the original announcement).  Today I really wanted an "Edit" option.  😕

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Hi,

Any updates on the status of this feature request  @peytoncraighill ​?

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Absolutely! I just forgot to post here!

This idea has been added to part of a larger Announcements enhancements effort, which is second in communications priority to Conversations (i.e., Inbox) enhancements. We are in the process of capacity planning for 2016, so stay tuned for additional updates.

(Capacity planning involves tons of perspectives from around Instructure, but we're trying to wrap it up before the end of September.)

marthazumack
Community Contributor

That's good news! Even if it takes a while, I'm happy to know that Canvas see the need for this improvement. Thanks for letting us know.

josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

I am wondering how this would work in terms of notifying recipients. Would there be an option to re-notify users that the content has changed? Or would is just resend the whole announcement?