The process of grading student work with modifications and accommodations

0 Likes

After talking to several teachers in my building about their process for grading work by students with modifications or accommodations, I saw a need for Canvas to help with this process. 

Right now, I list student modifications/accommodations on a spreadsheet and have that spreadsheet open while grading. This isn't the best way to go about it, but I'm not sure of a better one. Keep in mind that I have 130+ students each semester so it is important to have a list pulled up showing that some students can submit late while others shouldn't be docked for improper spelling. 

Canvas could provide a section for teachers to add notes for each student that only the teacher could see. That way, when I am in the grade book or in Speedgrader and I hover my mouse over a student's name, I can see what their modifications/accommodations are without switching back and forth between two screens and scrolling through a spreadsheet. 

In the meantime, if anyone wants to respond to this post with tricks or tips for making this a smoother process, please do so. Thank you!

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@mhurst1 Thanks for sharing this feedback. Have you enabled the Notes column in the Gradebook to use for this purpose?  How do I use the Notes column in the Gradebook? has the details.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived