This assignment is part of the module X and hasn't been unlocked yet- error msg in calendar/ to do

0 Likes

When a student clicks on links from the calendar or the "to-do" list for which they have not met the requirements to be able to access, the current verbiage makes it appear to the student that the teacher has the assignment locked when in fact, the assignment is open but the student needs to know that it will remain locked until they meet the requirements.

Currently it will show up and say "This assignment is part of the module XXX and hasn't been unlocked yet." However the module IS unlocked in the course but the student has not met requirements to be at that point yet. This should be changed to say "Assignment will unlock once module requirements are met." or "completion prerequisites set up in Modules need to be completed before this page will be unlocked".

It is great that when they do click on the assignment they will see a clear list of what they need to complete first and the verbiage IF they keep reading says it clearly as "Completion Prerequisites
The following requirements need to be completed before this page will be unlocked" but the fact is that most younger students do not continue to read past "This assignment is part of the module XXX and hasn't been unlocked yet." which is what they actually see first.

I also strongly believe that the calendar and the to-do list using links to assignments should be optional for teachers of younger students to choose IF they want their assignments accessible in ways other than modules. This change happened recently in the syllabus and needs to happen in calendar/to do list ASAP as well. Younger students are only checking the calendar/to do list and thinking that is the whole class.  Additionally a message at the top of the calendar should say that the calendar does not include pages that the course may have for learning material but only includes things that have a due date associated with them 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

6 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @NICOLEFIERRO,

It appears that you have three separate suggestions in your post: to update the module requirement warning verbiage, to make calendar and to-do list links optional, and to add a note to that pages are not included in the calendar. 

Having multiple ideas in the same post can become confusing when the idea is opened for conversation - as some users may want to support one idea but not another. Because of that, I've placed your idea in a moderation status. To suggest multiple ideas, please post them as separate ideas (if you'd like, you can repurpose this idea conversation for one of those and then create separate feature ideas for the other two). For more information about the Idea Conversation process, check out the following guidesWhat is the feature development process for Instructure products?How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community?How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community?

Naomi

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @NICOLEFIERRO -

I'm checking in, and I hope you are doing well!

If you are unable to revisit this idea by February 22, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated.

NICOLEFIERRO
Community Member

How do I edit the post? @KristinL @Naomi 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

Near the top of the thread (near the title) there are three dots that should open a menu! Here, you can select Edit. If that option is not available for you, feel free to let us know. We can Archive this idea and you can copy/paste the information you'd like to keep into a new one. 

Glad to hear from you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @NICOLEFIERRO -

I'm checking in! I hope you are doing well. Would you like assistance editing your Idea, or would you prefer us to archive this one so you can start fresh with each request? (EIther is fine with the Community Team!)

We know life can get busy, yet if we don't hear from you by March 18, we will archive this thread so we can better focus on current requests. The archived version will still be available for reference if you come back at a later time.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived