Time and Date Stamp for Anonymous Assignment Submissions

0 Likes
(1)

Hello.  I am an administrative assistant with instructor rights in Canvas to help the professors I assist.  The professors need to be able to have students submit an anonymous assignment in Canvas but also be able to see the exact date/time stamp for each student before they are done grading papers. 

Currently, I am told that there is no way to do this.  The only way to see a date/time stamp for each anonymous assignment is to post grades or unhide the students names.  This is not as helpful for the professors as they are trying to figure out how many points to deduct from a late paper submission.  Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@eat7 

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. Here are the steps I took to attempt to replicate it (as you'll see, I could not):

• Instructor: Create and publish a new assignment
  • Instructor: In Speedgrader, enable the option to Hide student names
  • Student: Submit the assignment 
  • Instructor: View the submission date and time at the upper right of Speedgrader (screenshot)

anonymous submission.png

Could you elaborate on the additional functionality you're seeking?

eat7
Community Member

Stefanie:

Thank you for your reply.  I cannot see the date and time that an anonymous student submitted an assignment.  Is this something only an administrator can see?  Right now, instructors can only see a date/time stamp if they post grades and unhide names.  I will try to submit a screen shot of mine if I can. Thank you.

--Elissa

eat7
Community Member

Screenshot of assignment submission.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@eat7 

Thanks for providing the screenshot. The date and time stamp are visible to teachers; no admin privileges are required.

Just to double-check, I did another test. This time, I set a due time on the assignment for five minutes ago and then, as the student, resubmitted the assignment; for the instructor, the date and time stamp display in Speedgrader with the word LATE appearing in the submissions dropdown for the most recent submission.

Has your campus support team escalated this to Canvas Support? We aren't able to move this forward as an idea conversation, but a support agent can look at the permissions associated with the roles at your school as well as the settings on the assignment itself to see why the date and time are not displaying as they should.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

s_puffer
Community Member

That's really a shame that we have to resort to a third-party survey tool to assure anonymity to the students. I would imagine that as a faculty member I have sufficient permission to see a student's identity and responses at any time. I can't accept that violation of privacy. Can you please tell Canvas developers to add a completely anonymous survey option - sooner rather than later? Thank you.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@s_puffer 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. Please add your comments and rating to the conversation around this underway at Improve Anonymous Surveys to Make them fully Anonymous

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived