Time between quiz attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We had an instructor request this feature as well, so I wanted to submit a new feature request.

Original submission: Setting to manage minimum time between allowed quiz attempts

"As an instructor, I'd like a setting whereby I can set a minimum number of minutes or days between allowed quiz attempts. Ideally this setting could be varied by section or individual. So, for instance, I could allow two quiz attempts but specify that a user must wait 24 hours after submitting their first attempt to begin the next."

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Jason GilbertThank you especially for contributions by:

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
26 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea​ submission.  I found the idea ( )  which was submitted in a different voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight for others, as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission. Feel free to update this idea to add any additional details, use cases, etc.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

wade1
Community Participant

We are switching to Canvas in spring 2017 and I would love to have this feature...I just posted my own "idea" and was told by Stefanie Sanders about this Vote.  Thanks Stefanie!

I really want this feature...saves me time auditing my students attempts.

kmatson
Community Explorer

Yes we need this and it has been voted on and archived so where are we now on this much needed feature?

Thank you,

Karen

amcase
Community Participant

We had this feature in our old LMS and we would really like it in Canvas, I hope this is part of the quiz overhaul that i've heard is underway.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kmatson ​, the idea that is now archived only received 9 votes, which is why it was archived--it received an anemic response. The current resubmission that is now open for voting is meant to gauge whether the idea will garner enough support in this new voting period to warrant further consideration.

And, as  @amcase ​ mentioned, quizzes are being completely overhauled: see Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​. You might want to add your feedback about and provide a link to this feature in the ongoing conversation there.

gschultz
Community Contributor

This could force the student to study a little more before the second attempt and just not a quick brain dump from what they learned on the first attempt.   The student might not wait until the last minute for their 1st attempt if they know there is a time requirement between attempts.

Some certification exams have this feature and it would be great to carry this over in Canvas.

jap98y
Community Novice

This would be a great feature and can fit into well-researched learning strategies utilizing spacing and interleaving study times.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182470_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

kathy_scott
Community Novice

This is something that is really important to us but we missed the voting period. Is this something that can be reconsidered in the future?