Time between quiz attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We had an instructor request this feature as well, so I wanted to submit a new feature request.

Original submission: Setting to manage minimum time between allowed quiz attempts

"As an instructor, I'd like a setting whereby I can set a minimum number of minutes or days between allowed quiz attempts. Ideally this setting could be varied by section or individual. So, for instance, I could allow two quiz attempts but specify that a user must wait 24 hours after submitting their first attempt to begin the next."

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Jason GilbertThank you especially for contributions by:

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
26 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kathy_scott , you or anyone else who is interested can resubmit a feature idea for new consideration in another voting period as long as the archived idea has not received a comment from the product team indicating it is on their radar or that there is a specific reason for it not to be included on the product roadmap. If you're interested in resubmitting this idea, please refer to this section of How does the voting process for feature ideas work (can I resubmit an idea after it has been archive.... Ideally, you then would follow the instructions for How do I create a new feature idea?  and after describing your feature idea and use cases, provide a link to this archived idea for additional context and to garner support.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

zshilor
Community Novice

Indeed I noticed that such a feature has been used in  several Coursera courses to prevent students from only guessing the answers. Some instructoes allow 3 attempts and then the student needs to wait another 8 hours before another try.

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

One workaround is to have a Study Assignment that has to be completed before you take a different quiz -- lots more work but in a way more adaptive.   

caryn
Community Member

Hi  @siouxgeonz ‌,

Thanks for this creative workaround. It's an interesting use of things like Mastery Paths...

donnica_pitts
Community Novice

I think that this is a really good idea. It will force the students to go back and study in order to retake a quiz. It also allows them to discuss with their teacher and peers about something they didn't understand

ericwerth
Community Explorer

I agree with this reasoning.  This feature would be particularly helpful in instances where questions are not being selected from a bank, so a student is likely to see the same question on a retake.  Depending on the amount of time given between retakes, a teacher may be able to contact a student who has done poorly before subsequent submissions are made to try and help determine how to help the student have a better chance at success.

kblack
Community Champion

I just so happened to be reviewing the documentation that is posted in the Quizzes LTI User Group‌ and there appears to be good news.  (By the way, I am not a Beta tester, so all I have to go on is the documentation.)  But based on this page (How do I manage delivery settings for an assessment in the Quizzes LTI? ) there will be an ability to Set Waiting Period.  It says:

To set a waiting period between attempts, click the Require time between attempts checkbox [1]. Then select the days [2], hours [3], and minutes [4] to require students to wait before they can begin a new attempt.

Again, this will all depend on when all this gets officially released, but it appears this feature will indeed be there.

ericwerth
Community Explorer

Great!  Thanks for the update Ken.  I look forward to checking this out!  I'm going to dive into the Quizzes LTI User Group tonight.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi ericwerth

I am a beta tester and Ken is correct. This is an option in the new Quizzes LTI.

I am very glad to see it.

Kelley