Timed Assignment - allowing students a time limit to view attachment and submit file back

0 Likes
(6)

If you create the option in Assignment tool for faculty to choose a time limit....this would make things so much easier for faculty to grade and provide feedback. 

Faculty using the QUIZ - "file upload" question type do NOT have all the benefits the Assignment tool, the speedgrader, and returning a graded file without major hoops. 

Canvas support (CHAT) answered... "When "file upload" type questions are inserted into a Question Group in the quiz, they will not prompt the option to download the submitted files. The workaround for this is to go into the quiz editing page, open the questions, add a new "file upload" type question outside of the questions group worth zero points. After this is done, update the new question and save the quiz. Then the option to download submissions should show."  OR  "you would need to allow multiple attempts because the "reupload" of the files actually creates a new submission on the student's behalf using the files that you reupload."

To me this is saying that QUIZ is NOT the tool to use for file uploads. The only reason why faculty are using the "file upload" question type is the want a "timed" activity where students access a file and submit their changes back within the time limit. 

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@tmalone2 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated next year, so we've archived it. Once your school starts using New Quizzes, you might be interested in adding your comments to the idea currently under discussion at New Quizzes: Timed quiz questions - Canvas Community 

tmalone2
Community Explorer

This is not Classic Quiz or even a Quiz. 

I am asking for a Timed Assignment. + Assignment - where students submit a file or type text in a box or Media Recordings or website URL. 

https://canvas.calpoly.edu/courses/16454/assignments/new

NOT any quiz (Classic or NEW).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@tmalone2 

Thanks for clarifying that; all the references to quizzes and quiz functionality in the idea description threw me off.

New Quizzes are based on the assignment content type, which means that the instructor can set availability dates on them just as they would for any other assignment. However, it sounds as if you would also like to set a time limit on the assignment itself (for example, students can access it for only 60 minutes any time between October 1 and October 12)—rather like Timed Assignments for Kami External Tool assignments but for Canvas assignments. Is that an accurate interpretation?

Provide a Time Limit to Media Recording Assignment... - Canvas Community is currently under discussion. The idea as initially written didn't mention media recordings or URLs or text entry submissions. If you're interested in seeing time limits developed for those additional submission types, please add your support to the existing discussion and submit the others, each as its own separate request (one for text entry, one for URLs, and one for the initial request for a time limit on a file upload assignment).

Thanks.

tmalone2
Community Explorer

Stefanie,

Yes. Sorry for the concussion. All this started with the faculty having issues with the Quiz "file upload" question type (wanting to upload a feedback file).

You're saying the NEW Quiz has the ability for a faculty to create a "file upload" question type and then the faculty can use the Speedgrader, download all files, use Rubrics, and also upload files back with feedback? 

.....Without the wired steps that the CHAT help person suggested before?

tmalone2
Community Explorer

I wish there was an EDIT option for this.

"confusion"

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@tmalone2 

The interim solution the support agent provided is an accurate description of the workflow in Classic (Old) Quizzes.

Looking at the initial request to add a time limit to an assignment, Canvas does not currently have an option that allows the instructor to provide a PDF as part of the assignment description that students can then annotate and submit uploaded PDF through the browser. This functionality is only available for assignments for students using the Canvas Student app to complete their assignments (How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Student app on my iOS device?).

The request to give students to annotate and submit PDFs provided by the instructor through the browser is a long-standing and actively-monitored conversation underway at Student PDF Annotations on Web Browser Version.

To answer your questions about New Quizzes specifically, in order to facilitate the totality of the requests you've included in this thread, Canvas would first need to prioritize the following:

So this is a complex request with multiple moving parts, each of which would have to be prioritized for potential development separately. Please read through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singularly-focused prompts.

The Idea Conversations forum is the publicly visible place where our members can contribute their suggestions and engage in active discussions with others around the request, but it is by no means the only way Instructure collects feedback. We hope you'll have a chance to read through What is the feature development process for Instructure products? to see the numerous other sources from which we develop priorities.

All that being said, this conceptually sounds like a great idea (if it had been available, I would certainly have used for specific use cases when I was teaching in Canvas), but each of its component parts would need to be discussed separately.

Thanks for working with us on this!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is currently the topic of conversation at  Add time limit to Assignments.