To-Do List Checkoff

Keeping track of what work needs to be done (and what is done) is something that should be easier than it is. Right now, If I want to remind myself that what I'm working on is done I either have to write it down somewhere else or use some other software to keep track (something like MyStudyLife or Trello). Though, what I propose is to take out the middleman. Why not in the agenda tab give the ability to mark what I've done? Adding this would give users a better way to keep track of everything (especially right now during the pandemic where we are getting more assignments on Canvas). I've included two concepts of how I think this should work, but I think that my drawings could definitely be improved on.

12 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @zolpdan000 . Thanks for those screenshots they were very helpful! It looks like the way your course(s) is designed activities are primarily being shared as calendar events. When the various learning activity types are used, they are marked off automatically or can be marked as done using the dashboard as you are. More information on that is available at How do I use the to-do list for all my courses in the List View Dashboard as a student? 

I wasn't able to find another idea for marking calendar events as done so I have moved this idea forward for voting. You may also want to pass along some feedback to your instructor about using other content types besides calendar events and how it impacts the students experience with the dashboard and to-do list.

MElkins
Community Novice

When a user log in to verify what assignments have been submitted, they have to open each assignment first to verify if it has been submitted. I feel that it would help the user if submitted would show with a check or flag highlighted on the dashboard then that way we could see in one shot if an assignment has been completed. Especially on the mobile app. 

JORDANALLEN291
Community Member

I find the new To-do list to be a good start of an idea, but bothersome in its current state. For someone like me, I need a way to check off items on that list manually. Currently there is no way to do that and I have to stare at those red badges which fills me with anxiety that I have to do something, even though, in many cases and for various reasons, there's nothing I can do for those upcoming to do items, at least not for a certain period of time, and usually not until a specific date. These cases include, but are not limited to events such as exams or quizzes scheduled at in advanced, extra credit assignments that I have elected not to do that have already passed, or even more nuisanced cases like a class I have signed up for in the spring, but will be completing the course work for over the Summer, yet who's assignments still show up on my To Do List with no way for me to remove. Please add a way for me to check off those items. I would rather have the feature removed all together if this is not possible.

Sincerely,
Another stress filled, trying his best, anxious college student

Mgscrog
Community Member

Is it possible to add the feature of allowing a student to manually mark an assignment complete in the “To-do” list if it has to be submitted outside of Canvas? It’s nice that it removes assignments completed in Canvas, but the assignments that aren’t, stay in the list and collect throughout the semester. It makes the “To-do” almost too cumbersome to use as a tool. Thanks!

HopeGayler
Community Novice

some assignments are graded only in outside sources and not in Canvas, so the assignment stills shows up in the To Do list when its been completed. We need an option to check off our own assignments that have been turned in, and maybe even an option to show "in progress" it would simplify confusion and stress over assignments that all have similar titles.

TO97
Community Member

Hi Hope,

What are some of the external tools you're using for grading assignments? 

<disclaimer: affiliated with the vendor>

I know of an LTI Integration that allows you to use Qualtrics for quizzes and have the grading (whether it's an actual grade or a checkbox) be automatically loaded into the Canvas gradebook. Maybe this could help you out?

GarrettOngie
Community Novice

Since some assignments are completed on an external website or a different method of submission that is not on Canvas, it would be nice if I could manually cross off items on my Calendar that do not have a Canvas submission. As of the current system here is a way to do this in the Dashboard but not the Calendar.

etchemendy_kath
Community Member

Several students have requested a checkbox to mark that they've turned in a paper submission so that it comes off their To Do list

PierreThomas
Community Novice

Could you all add a feature on Canvas/Instructure that allows the student to mark that an Agenda 'To Do' item has been completed and thereby, strike out the Agenda item?

For example:

(The student clicks or selects a button to indicate that an Agenda 'To Do' item has been completed)

Read Chapter 16

(The strikethrough font of the Agenda item will indicate to the student that the item has been completed.)

KGard687
Community Member

Give students the ability to strikethrough assignments/ or program Canvas to strikethrough assignments that are graded within separate programs paired to a Canvas course. They are often finished, but not shown as being done in the calendar.

MeaganChasteene
Community Novice

PLEASE ADD A CHECKLIST AND/OR CHECK-OFF OPTION FOR STUDENTS TO USE TO KEEP TRACK OF THEIR ASSIGNMENTS. 

THE ONLY CURRENT WAY TO SEE IF AN ASSIGNMENT HAS BEEN COMPLETED IS BY WAITING FOR THE INSTRUCTOR TO GRADE IT. THIS IS INEFFICIENT FOR STUDENTS AND PROFESSORS ALIKE. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.