[To Do] Remove 1:1 Zoom Appointments from Everyone's To-Do List

0 Likes
(1)

Idea: An option to remove 1:1 Zoom appointments from the course To Do List, Course Calendar, etc. would cause less confusion and allow 1:1 appointments to occur within the course. 

Rationale: Many students want to meet 1:1 at different times (especially for fully online, asynchronous courses). Currently, creating a 1:1 meeting with a student using Zoom in Canvas puts the meeting on every student's To Do List, Course Calendar, etc. 

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @creiser127,

Can I ask how you're creating these meetings?  We have the Zoom integration at my university and as far as I'm aware right now, the integration only supports whole class meetings, not individual 1-on-1's.  I think that may be what you're running in to here.  For one on 1 conferences, we tell teachers to use the BigBlueButton tool (which does support inviting individual participants), or creating a zoom link outside of Canvas and only sharing it with the student through email, a Canvas conversation, or external calendar (outlook/google/etc) event.

It's possible other solutions exist and I just don't know about them, so maybe someone else will chime in here as well.

-Chris

creiser127
Community Member
Author

Hi @chriscas,

Thanks for your input. You are correct that I am using the Zoom integration tool, and it only allows whole class meetings. 

Our institution does not allow the Conferences feature and therefore no BigBlueButton. There are only a handful of apps we're allowed to use (about 8-10). Each app has to go through a vetting process by the university's privacy and security office. We are new to Canvas and our institution has put a hold on requests for external apps. Maybe in the future, BigBlueButton will be available.  

I was really hoping to keep everything in Canvas but, as you suggest, the best option right now is to create the Zoom link outside of Canvas. 

Thank you you again.

Cristina

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived