To be able to Rotate an image inside the Rich Content Editor.

(3)
Idea is currently in development

It would be nice to be able to rotate an image once you get them into the rich content editor. Some pictures that you take with your phone and upload into canvas will show up rotated counterclockwise 90 degrees, and there is no way to rotate the image back clockwise 90 degrees.
39 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@fontago ​

Are you seeking this function in Canvas web or in the mobile app?  I ask because you mention uploading from your phone.

Thanks.

fontago
Community Novice

in the canvas web. I took a picture of something on my phone then loaded it to my computer then uploaded it to canvas. When its on my computer it looks normal but after it uploads to canvas it rotates the picture counterclockwise 90 degrees.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fontago ​...

Not sure if you've seen this discussion, but I wanted to let you know there is a work-around that you can use right now.  Image rotation

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

As  @Chris_Hofer ​ mentioned there are many applications out there that allow simple edits to photos. While it would be ideal to include this capability in Canvas there are accessible workarounds that are great solutions. Thank Chris for helping out!

kenneth_rogers
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Deactivated user​!

I wanted to further expand on this use case that  @sworrell ​ presented over in iPhone pictures sideways in discussions Essentially, the issue lies with iOS not including the appropriate exif data for image rotation within images taken on an iPhone, so when they are loaded in non-Apple applications, they rotate. However, because Sterling works at a Mac school, on MacOS, the images look fine - it's only within Canvas that there's an issue. Most image rotation desktop applications I have found strip the exif data (which is necessary for fine art programs, geo location, copyright info, etc.), which is why it is necessary for Canvas to either understand how Apple is tagging their photos for orientation (as Sterling pointed out, Facebook has it figured out), or to work on including the ability for image rotation.

His students cannot use the mobile app because it strips the exif metadata information, which is why they use the web.

H/T to  @don_bryn ​ and  @emily_liepe ​ for educating me on the Apple info. 'Preciate y'all!

sworrell
Community Novice

The whole messed up iPhone image orientation thing is a huge headache in my program. We're an Apple school with approximately 95% of our 1100 students using iPhones as their mobile device of choice. In our visual arts courses, we share imagery often in Canvas discussions, etc. The workflow is already more complicated than it needs to be because we can't use the app which strips the metadata. The added step of using additional software /apps to be able to post a iPhone picture to Canvas is more confusing for the students than you think.

Chris Hofer Mccall Smith PLEASE add image rotation to the editor or better figure out the iPhone orientation issue in Canvas and fix it.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sworrell ​...

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you here.  I don't work for Instructure.  I work at a Technical College in Wisconsin.

sworrell
Community Novice

Chris Hofer

Understood. I just see your name a lot around here so I thought I'd try:)

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

:smileylaugh:

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
kenneth_rogers
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sworrell ​ I'm not sure if you're aware of the new Product Idea Stages or not (See  @Renee_Carney ​'s comment below), but this is now "On the Radar" and can be voted for again. Your feedback is especially valuable because your use case provides a great reason why this feature is needed!

sworrell
Community Novice

Renee, Any update on this image rotation issue? Thanks

jacobtowne7
Community Novice

Great idea!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

wenrui_chen
Community Novice

I imagine it would be really easy for Canvas to add that button for simple image editing. I use my phone to take pictures a lot for student work examples and upload it into my classes. It is really a pain for me when my pictures are all sideways or upside down. How I wish that when I am in page editing, and select my picture, and click on the "rotate 90 degrees" or things like that, and boom done! But I CAN'T.

Please add the function... I beg you...

Smiley Sad

sworrell
Community Novice

Agreed, please get your colleagues to vote it up.

mjhuffma
Community Novice

This is a must have feature... No idea why people are down voting it.  It relatively simple too. wouldn't even ask, i would've just added it, knowing people will use it. I don't know if i can handle 4 years of uploading images to my professors in canvas, having to open every single one in an art program before it'll properly orient when uploaded to portfolios. 

lph
Community Champion

This feature would have saved a "slight" headache uploading images yesterday.

Scenario: The image looked proper on the desktop but was uploaded and showed landscape. A rotation feature would have allowed this to be corrected immediately. Instead, I ended up opening the image on the desktop, rotating the image, rotating the image back to the original position and then uploading again.

zutshia
Community Novice

YES PLEASE!!! My pics look fine on my laptop. In Canvas they are sideways. My students are annoyed, and this is a legitimate gripe!