Twitter and Embedly- Embed Link Previews in Pages

(1)

Canvas already supports Youtube as an app, which is why we can embed iframes of youtube videos in pages on Canvas. However, I think it would be helpful if we could also embed Twitter Timelines (click here to get easy HTML code for specific tweets) and "embedly cards" (easy way to add a preview/iframe) into pages on Canvas as well. 

252410_pastedImage_11.png

Isn't the embedly card much more engaging than just using a hyperlink for external content you want your students to read, interact with, etc.? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/opinion/lady-gaga-and-the-life-of-passion.html 
...Also, I'm pretty sure when I make content pages for my course it doesn't automatically do this: 
Lady Gaga and the Life of Passion - The New York Times, which it did when I entered the above URL; this would be nice to have for the content pages. 

Canvas Support told me that they do not currently support this custom HTML code that these websites create for sharing various content. But, if students can see a preview of a link embedded within the post, they are much more likely to click on the link and interact with the content.

252406_pastedImage_7.png

Example HTML Code for Embedding Youtube, Twitter, & Embedly:

Support Similar ideas to mine: 

How do I embed *one* tweet? 

How to embed from Venngage using <script>  

Potential Workaround: 

An #InstCon Twitter Widget in Under 5 MinutesAn #InstCon Twitter Widget in Under 5 Minutes 

6 Comments
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Hi  @tiffany_maglasa ‌! The javascript won't work in a Canvas Page for security reasons, but it WILL work in a Canvas File, and then you can iframe that in a Canvas Page. It does add an extra step... but it works!

More details here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/people/laurakgibbs/blog/2017/07/25/an-instcon-twitter-widget-in-unde... 

I doubt Canvas will ever let us use javascripts directly in Pages, but one possibility might be that they might whitelist specific sites like twitter.com, flickr.com, pinterest.com to allow their javascripts. But I doubt it...

Luckily, though, the Files work-around really does work!

tiffany_maglasa
Community Novice

Thank you! I tried this and it did work... But that is a whole LOT of extra (unnecessary) steps... if they would just integrate Twitter javascript like they do for Youtube...

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Hi  @tiffany_maglasa ‌! The difference is that the YouTube is not javascript, so that is very different. You might have better luck requesting to have Twitter javascripts whitelisted, as I mentioned above, but I doubt that will happen; it doesn't really fit in with Canvas's priorities.

Setting up a widget does take a few minutes, it literally only takes a few minutes, but once you get it set up, it is good to go and go and go, so I think it is well worth the time. I'm just glad it was possible! I was very frustrated about it until  @James ‌ and ishar-uw‌ taught me the File-in-Page workaround.

It's also frustrating that Canvas Support did not explain the workaround to you; if they are going to block our use of javascript for security reasons, I think they should also explain how we are able to include the javscript in a way that addresses their security concerns.

parm
Community Participant

The work around is a hassle for sure. But I agree with you Tiffany, having the visual link is more likely to get people to visit the site. I also like that with the embed.ly cards the visuals from the linked site are always current. 

OlenaSobolieva
Community Member

The use of social media is very common and can be an effective way to professionally discuss information and interact with colleagues. Twitter is a social network where the size of a message, or tweet, is limited to 140 characters (read more on wiki twitter). Professional use of Twitter is ideal for educators interested in networking with peers, teaching, and facilitating face-to-face communication. Live tweets, i.e. posting reactions to events in real time, during conferences and professional meetings is a very popular and effective use of Twitter.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!