Two Part Quiz Questions

I was thinking it would be neat if quiz questions could have more than one part.

For example, students could answer a multiple choice question and then provide the rationale for their selection in a text box. When doing this in the current iteration of Canvas, you must put the multiple choice question and text box in separate questions that are numbered Question 1 and Question 2, which might be confusing to students. Saving them as separate questions would also be difficult to manage in Question Banks.

Thanks for your consideration!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

The stimulus content type in New Quizzes accommodates multi-part questions. For more information, please refer to the comment below

25 Comments
Community Contributor

Sakai already has this option. See screenshot below:

2015-12-18_14-37-02.png

I have seen instructors use this option to pump up grades for thoughtful students of remove points for clear guesses.

krissywilson
Community Member

I didn't realize that this was a feature of any other learning management system. It would be great to afford Canvas users the same opportunity!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

jbrady2
Community Champion

This would also be a nice feature to have when using ungraded quizzes as surveys to allow for an Other option along with an explanation.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

LisaCasto​ - As a general rule of thumb, ideas that are currently open-for-vote are still gathering support (votes) from community members. It needs to reach a threshold number of votes before resulting in any feedback from our product teams. (But, of course, that's not always the case with every idea). (Just wanted to make sure to set the expectation).

Smiley Happy

noah
Community Novice

As faculty get more comfortable with basic functionality, they are increasingly going to quizzes for a whole host of reasons and this feature would really help quizzes become a more powerful teaching tool.

Here's another feature request for quizzes that I like--I'm not just saying that because I submitted it:

holdenw
Community Novice

This would also improve question bank usage.  Currently, questions that are all part of a set, like answering three questions about a specific image, cannot be linked in question banks so that they are always found in assignments together and in the same order.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a feature we may consider. This is a feature option to require rationale for a question answer. This would likely disable autograding and trigger manual review for all questions since the instructor (or assigned grader) must review the rationale before awarding points and (ultimately) a grade. This is something we may consider for the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine . Stay tuned for more details!

Jason

krissywilson
Community Member

That's great to hear, Jason! I'll keep an eye out!

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

So many of the testing engines, like Smarter Balanced, have multi-part questions that present a problem or dialog and then ask multiple questions based on the initial issue, each question building on the level of knowledge required.  It would be great to have the ability to structure questions in this manner so we can get our students used to this type of assessment.