UI Improvement Needed in Editing Canvas Pages

0 Likes
(1)

I would like to see improvements to the UI in Canvas when it comes to editing pages. I would like to see the 'buttons' controlling the UI, such as Save, Edit, etc. stay *statically located*, either in a ribbon at the top of the page or on a sidebar, so I don't have to scroll all the way up or all the way down pages that have lots of content and fill lots of vertical space to get to those controls.

Along these lines, I notice when editing a page that contains a table, if I want to add a row at the bottom of the table, and I press the icon on the graphical pop-up ribbon to add a row, the UI jumps the screen focus to the top of the table. This is extremely annoying when editing a table with many rows. I would like to be able to go to a place in the table to add a row (which is usually at the bottom of the table) and have the screen keep focus at the row that was just added rather than jumping to the top of the table.

I've also noticed that sometimes the graphical pop-up ribbon for table editing sometimes places itself awkwardly over a cell in a row added to the bottom of a table. This makes it difficult to see what I want to type in a cell of the row just added, because the pop-up ribbon is covering it. It would be nice to be able to re-position the pop-up ribbon, but that is not possible now.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@burford_furman 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. It's not something we can move forward in this forum, which is designed to accommodate a conversation focused on a single request. That said, the product manager for the Rich Content Editor blogs here regularly with requests for feedback, and so we invite you to add these observations to the comments section of RCE Updates - Fall 2020.

We have a number of conversations currently underway requesting specific changes to the new RCE, so please search through the forum to find existing ideas to support that align with your thoughts.

Thanks again!

MarshallPittman
Community Member

I'm also having trouble navigating the UI. As I only take one class and work full time I don't get to spend enough time in Canvas to learn it. I've missed assignments and readings when I first started because I didn't know they existed.