[User Settings] UX issue that should be corrected: Misleading button links in the «Select profile picture» popup box

Accessibility testers at our university found this user experience (UX) issue while conducting a thorough accessibility evaluation of Canvas.

Description of problem:

A UX issue that is not a failure of a WCAG requirement, but is misleading for the user: Regarding the «Select profile picture» popup box in the user’s profile page (https://uio.instructure.com/profile😞 the "Upload a picture" button insinuates that it is a button to be clicked in order to upload a picture. However, it is the link below ("choose a picture") that performs this action.

This issue is related to WCAG requirement 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context): “The purpose of each link can be determined from the link text alone or from the link text together with its programmatically determined link context”.

Expected Behavior/Solution:

We strongly suggest that “Upload a Picture”, “Take a Picture” and “From Gravatar” should not look like buttons. This feature could be enhanced by changing the buttons to be something else such as tabs similar to those across the account Settings page.

Screenshot of the "Select Profile Picture" popup box with markings indicating the elements in questionScreenshot of the "Select Profile Picture" popup box with markings indicating the elements in question

Added to Theme

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

d_j_corbin
Community Participant

Hello @Stef_retired ! I see that "A new idea may be moved into Moderating status if the idea is incomplete or needs clarification from the contributor." Please let me know what I can supplement so the idea is changed to "Open for Conversation" 🙂

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @d_j_corbin ! Yes, we've placed the idea into Moderating status while our accessibility team reviews it.

d_j_corbin
Community Participant

Aha, ok! Thanks for the update 🙂

d_j_corbin
Community Participant

By the way, I had already sent an email to my CSM who forwarded all of our accessibility and UX issues to the accessibility team. The response I got was "Any UX issues would need to go through normal support using your Admin Console", which I did (Case #07773287) and received the following reply:

"While this issue is not a failure of a WCAG requirement, I do see how this feature could be enhanced by changing the buttons to be something else such as tabs similar to those across the account Settings page. In this situation, I would recommend submitting a feature request <https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Community/How-do-I-create-a-new-idea-conversation-in-the-Instruct...>  on our Community Idea's page if you would like to see the format or wording of these buttons updated."

Great that someone at Instructure will be reviewing it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@d_j_corbin 

Thanks for undertaking the review by Canvas Support. Now that our accessibility team has completed their review of the idea and the support case, we've moved this idea forward for broader discussion.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme