Unassign an individual student

0 Likes

My problem is that I need to accommodate some students with double time on a timed quiz. I don't think there's a way to change the time for one student (right?), so I've had to set up a second, separate assignment with double time and assign it to just that student. That works, but I then need to unassign that student from the original quiz. The only way I have been able to do that is to *manually* assign it to every student in the course other than the one being accommodated. What I'm hoping for is something like the "Everyone Else" option, but it seems the only time we get the option for "Everyone Else" is when an individual student has been assigned a different due date in the same quiz.

Just spitballing, I was thinking I could assign this quiz to that student with a one-minute due date window, effectively ensuring the student won't use this assignment and giving me the option to use "Everyone Else." The only problem is that if it is assigned to that student, it will show up in the gradebook, so these points (two separate quizzes) will be in the gradebook twice for this student.

Part of my reason for wanting this unassign capability is that I don't get these accommodations memos all at once. They come in one by one, many before drop/add ends, and I'd like to set this up as the memos come in. However, manually adding everyone else's name (as noted above) before drop/add ends could mean I leave out someone who adds the class after I do this.  

Currently, it seems my best option is to wait until drop/add ends (so I have a final roster of students in the course) and then and only then manually add, one by one, all students except those being accommodated to the assignment. Unassigning an individual student would be a better option for me.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@jbielecki 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We have two conversations at the moment associated with a similar use case. Would you please add your helpful example to one or both of these:

New Quizzes: Quiz Availability & Extended Time

Assign to everyone except selected students

(We recognize that neither of these is identical to what you've posited here, but they are closely related.)

For reference, the full moderation functionality for New Quizzes is detailed in 

How do I moderate a student's assessment attempt in New Quizzes?

and

How do I add assessment accommodations for a student in New Quizzes?