[Modules] Unlocking Modules for individual students

Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

89 Comments
mdurler
Community Member

Kona,

Yes I have. No it does not. I want a one-to-one conditional visibility feature.

connors5
Community Novice

Yea! I did vote down, but after thinking this would be good, for those classes where it's old school instruction and the Instructor wants his/her assignments in too soon, because the student didn't quite get the assignment, for example, research papers, there should be at least a two to three weeks to be able to do a research assignment instead of expecting it by the following week when you have other classes. 

jbader
Community Novice

I teach in higher ed, 4 - 5 courses per term where I use canvas for every course. I have already needed this option on five occasions. Students need to leave for Military and need to work ahead or have medical issues and need to catch up.  Please add this as an option where a student can be assigned to view and use a module even though it is locked to the public. 

barsonbr
Community Member

This is a feature that our 1,600 instructors are always asking for at our higher ed institution. Every semester, there are countless times when a student goes on vacation and wants to work ahead, or is going on a work trip and wants to stay on top of their schoolwork before they leave, etc. Please resurrect this item and consider it for development.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

manson
Community Novice

Ditto to all above.

This is a basic and necessary component to handle issues around mandatory student travel and a range of accommodation and disability issues. Every other LMS/CMS I have ever used had this baked in from day one.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Yup instructors need the ability to be flexible for certain students.  Travel, accommodations for students with legitimate military, disability or health reasons. I remember one student who was going to give birth. Teachers do not wish to allow for just any reason, but there are definitely situations where one wants/needs to be understanding without changing things for the entire class.  Prerequisites and Requirements are wonderful and powerful, but need this extra flexibility of exceptions. 

I just went through the steps of creating a prerequisite module with a practice quiz which needs an access code, but there are many steps and settings in making this work right. It requires adding and removing of a prerequisite at the right times, and then dealing with importing this modified content to the next semester. Very very complicated and easy to mess up.

jrvarnes
Community Member

I agree! Even just an option to have a list of OR prerequisites for these students.

For example a prerequisite for Module 2 could be that EITHER Module 1 was completed, OR it opens on XX date (whichever is first).

ritchiedk
Community Novice

This would be a good step forward!!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Super idea supported by very strong pedagogical ideas. Personalisation is key to engagement and success. Providing opportunities for differentiation by activity and outcome too.

Do consider this please which has similar ambitions - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5319-hiding-and-viewing-modules-for-individual-sections?sr=sea...