[Modules] Unlocking Modules for individual students

Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

89 Comments
angela5
Community Novice

Hi Stefanie,

I still think this would be an amazing idea and so useful!

Angela Chartrand

linkrohn
Community Novice

On a University level, we are able to have students onground connect to segments online to do make-up sessions.  The problem is in our lengthy courses (22 weeks) with multiple instructors; the students clutter the grading speedgrader and confuse the instructors as to who is in attendance in those non-audited courses.  This is not use friendly for the administrators, instructors, and students.

This needs to be considered a priority.

Lin Krohn

jfountain
Community Participant

We need the ability to publish modules by section and/or by student.  Thank you!

candice_mcphers
Community Participant

We could really use this feature.

We would like for instructors to be able to override requirement completion for individual students.  Moodle now has this feature in its adaptive release function. It happens for Moodle in the area where teachers go to monitor completion. 

In Canvas, it would be great to add this ability in the "View Progress" area for for student completion of modules. In the list of items to be completed by the student, create a switch teachers can flip to mark that item as complete.

Reasoning

This would be useful in a number of extenuating circumstances where a single student or more needed to skip a particular item.

In our particular use case, sometimes we have to move students to a different instructor's shell to even out enrollments size (for our virtual program, our enrollments are in flux and not always set in stone prior to the term). When this happens, those students temporarily "Lose" their check marks and panic. It doesn't matter if we've given them workarounds or told them not to panic. It is frustrating to them and the instructor.  If that instructor could go in and manually give back the checks based on the progress they had made in the previous teacher's course, that would be great!

A workaround has been provided here Bypassing Requirements/Prerequisites though it is not ideal for our particular use case. 

laura-harste
Community Participant

In light of increased concerns over Accessibility and helping our differently abled learners.  We have many students in need of accommodations and it would help them if they could have their "extended time" start earlier, rather than have our more challenged learners always a few days to a week behind the rest of their peers.

laura-harste
Community Participant

It is open for voting again!   Please have those 1, 600 instructors vote!

bstanley
Community Explorer

You can already see the trend is heavily in favor of this.  Let's get the vote out.  This is an important issue.

laura-harste
Community Participant

I emailed my faculty and asked them to vote and we have gained 13 votes so far since yesterday, a slow start, but movement.  I truly think this is important for accommodations as well as to help all our learners succeed.  It is likely also an easy fix!  Let's rock the vote on this one!

michael-rotundo
Community Novice

Hello Everyone,

I am voting in favor of unlocking the modules. The more pedagogical tools that we have to mold and shape the learning dynamic, the better. It is all about customizing the learning experience.
-michael-
gary-weil
Community Novice

I also vote in favor of unlocking modules at different times for different students, depending on need.

--Gary Weil