cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Modules for individual students

Unlocking Modules for individual students

(89)
Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

84 Comments
helena-ross

I also vote "yes," in favor of unlocking modules at different times for different students. Of course based on the need.

Helena Ross

blangston

This would be a great feature for the student who doesn't complete their work in module 1 and needs to move on to module 2 because module 1 has passed its due date. 

If Canvas is going to have a feature that allows teachers to set requirements there should also be a feature to manually override that requirement for a specific student. 

ElizabethPruitt

For K-12 members, this is a great feature to add especially for students that move into courses midyear.  Being able to keep your structure, but override requirements for a specific student would be ideal in a K-12 world. 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Man have we needed this recently. This would really help us because of our competency based model. We use the models as a way to allow students to move one once they've proved competency and sometimes we need to allow a student to move on before they've reached all of the module requirements. 

christopher_gil
Advocate

I have said it before and will say it again, while Canvas is a great product, we in K12 have different needs than Universities/higher learning. I believe Canvas sees this, but would like to see this in practice where there could be a few Feature Options specific to K12.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Agree with you 100%  @christopher_gil 

If you are going to have one product that we ask schools, colleges and universities to use not forgetting the plethora of different education systems throughout the world then why not add more options!

I wish Canvas would take more of this approach - you don't have to do it this way but if you do, tick this option....

timothy_maw
Community Champion

It would be really beneficial. I know that sometimes Canvas does not quite work for us because we have different needs in a competency-based world others have different problems because of their models.

michelle_souvan
Community Member

This would be extremely helpful for differentiation for diverse learners.  Currently the only solution for this in our school for students with exceptionalities is to make them their own course.  This dramatically increases the workload for teachers teaching many diverse learners.

bstanley
Community Member

This idea gets so few negative votes and it has been asked for several times.  I am strongly in favor of having it come up for another vote.  Hopefully we can get this done this time around.

chisey

This would be invaluable as a k-12 teacher. I regularly have students who need to complete additional mastery modules and would LOVE for them to be the only ones who can view/access those module. Right now it's confusing for my other students who can see them and wonder what they are. As of now, the workarounds are unnecessarily tedious.

Kona Jones wrote:

George, have you looked at Mastery Paths in Canvas - 4152,668299 It seems like it would accomplish what you are wanting. 

jhough
Community Participant

I absolutely agree with the original post. Also, we had a situation today where a new student joined the class. The teacher wanted them to start fresh with the new module they were starting, but we had to go through and quickly do each piece for that student. Not hard, just time consuming and a bit irritating. She acknowledges that she could take off the requirements, but with the distance learning situation, she wanted some of her original students to still work through things. 

bstanley
Community Member

Are 855  a lot of votes?  It looks like about 94% in the positive column.  What is the criteria for it to be acted on?

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

I am happy to vote for this feature. Looks like the idea in the link is archieved.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

It looks like all of us now have to give 5 stars to this idea to re-vote?  I am not sure how things are working in the new community, if the votes from the old community are still counted somewhere.  Since we are now using ratings, it would be important to re-rate all the ideas you've supported. 

If the old votes are still being counted please let us know, thanks.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Could we also have modules prerequisites be forgiven by section as well as by individual?

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Yes, community has changed to a newer style where I am not able to access most of the links too.

Has this happened to anyone, Revoting the idea into development phase or at least beta looks pretty challenging now, esp with the continued idea.

mckeppner

To have a way of students who enter class late as transfers to bypass the previously required and tasks that are to be completed sequentially

lsmith129
Community Member

Please consider this! I have one student who has been unable to unlock a module through no fault of his own - the only way around it (says Canvas) is to unlock it for EVERYONE which totally defeats the purpose of setting up the module progressions in the first place. 

michelle_souvan
Community Member

This would be such a helpful for differentiating for our special education learners