[Modules] Unlocking Modules for individual students

Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

89 Comments
helena-ross
Community Novice

I also vote "yes," in favor of unlocking modules at different times for different students. Of course based on the need.

Helena Ross

blangston
Community Participant

This would be a great feature for the student who doesn't complete their work in module 1 and needs to move on to module 2 because module 1 has passed its due date. 

If Canvas is going to have a feature that allows teachers to set requirements there should also be a feature to manually override that requirement for a specific student. 

ElizabethPruitt
Community Member

For K-12 members, this is a great feature to add especially for students that move into courses midyear.  Being able to keep your structure, but override requirements for a specific student would be ideal in a K-12 world. 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Man have we needed this recently. This would really help us because of our competency based model. We use the models as a way to allow students to move one once they've proved competency and sometimes we need to allow a student to move on before they've reached all of the module requirements. 

christopher_gil
Community Participant

I have said it before and will say it again, while Canvas is a great product, we in K12 have different needs than Universities/higher learning. I believe Canvas sees this, but would like to see this in practice where there could be a few Feature Options specific to K12.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Agree with you 100%  @christopher_gil 

If you are going to have one product that we ask schools, colleges and universities to use not forgetting the plethora of different education systems throughout the world then why not add more options!

I wish Canvas would take more of this approach - you don't have to do it this way but if you do, tick this option....

timothy_maw
Community Champion

It would be really beneficial. I know that sometimes Canvas does not quite work for us because we have different needs in a competency-based world others have different problems because of their models.

michelle_souvan
Community Participant

This would be extremely helpful for differentiation for diverse learners.  Currently the only solution for this in our school for students with exceptionalities is to make them their own course.  This dramatically increases the workload for teachers teaching many diverse learners.

bstanley
Community Explorer

This idea gets so few negative votes and it has been asked for several times.  I am strongly in favor of having it come up for another vote.  Hopefully we can get this done this time around.

chisey
Community Member

This would be invaluable as a k-12 teacher. I regularly have students who need to complete additional mastery modules and would LOVE for them to be the only ones who can view/access those module. Right now it's confusing for my other students who can see them and wonder what they are. As of now, the workarounds are unnecessarily tedious.