[Modules] Unlocking Modules for individual students

Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

89 Comments
rjf227
Community Participant

This is a much-needed feature to address some of our accessibility concerns and needs. We want to be able to provide content to our students (including blind students) at their point of need in a way that's not visible to the other students in the class. The lack of this functionality within Canvas compromises our ability to create an equitable learning design to meet the teaching and learning needs of students with special needs. Currently, we have to provide differentiated student content outside of the LMS to preserve anonymity, creating a scavenger hunt of sorts for the student (seeing we can't provide these materials in an organized way to individual students within the LMS). Because accessibility issues can lead to litigation, we would be incredibly relieved to see this functionality added to Canvas.

hlovett
Community Participant

This feature is very needed for accommodations. We get requests for this kind of feature regularly. I would like to see it considered again. 

rjf227
Community Participant

I don't think the mastery paths solution will solve the complexities of designing Canvas courses for students with disabilities.

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

You could create a module before it that has only 1 assignment in it that is assigned to that student only.  Then in the 2nd module you could make the 1st module completion a requirement to do the 2nd module.  Hey it is a work around, and no one would have access to the 2nd module but the kid who can complete the first one.

Just an idea to help out some person looking for help.

scatia
Community Member

this would be a great feature...

bruce_janz
Community Novice

I would very much like to have this feature. I have requests from students to work ahead, which I would like to let them do, but don't want to open things for everyone in the class. This makes sense especially during a pandemic, when things might not be so predictable and some students might want to work ahead when they can, in case they are faced with things they can't control in the future. Better early than late. 

VincentAdolph
Community Member

As to the Learning at your own pace how is that actually assessed? Serious non gripe question is this totally all brand new like a nation wide social experiment?

melissa_queen
Community Member

In Higher education, it is common to give students with documented needs an accommodation that requires an instructor to provide those students access to a Canvas Module earlier than the rest of the class.

Similarly to how Assignments allow instructors to make differentiated dates to access and submit Canvas Assignments, Canvas Modules should allow for instructors to be able to unlock a module with differentiated access dates for students requiring early access.

Without this ability, an instructor has to manually copy the content over to a separate Word document in order to provide early access to the student via email while still keeping the Canvas Module locked until the regular access date. 

melissa_queen
Community Member

I also created a similar feature idea post before finding this post:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Multiple-quot-Lock-Until-quot-dates-for-Module...

isabelmk
Community Member

I agree that this is a very important feature to allow for individual needs, such as leaves of absence.