[Modules] Unlocking Modules for individual students

Hi all,

This idea has already been requested, but did not get enough votes. Manually Override Module Requirements for Students

Any chance this can go through the voting cycle again! Would be brilliant to have this idea incorporated within Canvas. In our k-12 institution we like to encourage independent learning, so we let students move through modules at their own pace. Different students have different capabilities and some may be quicker to complete module requirements, which is why we would like to open progressive modules for individual students whilst keeping the module locked for the remaining students. Whereas now, if were to open the modules those students who have not yet completed modules feel pressured and try to rush through the modules.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

89 Comments
Community Novice

Kona Jones wrote:

George, have you looked at Mastery Paths in Canvas - 4152,668299 It seems like it would accomplish what you are wanting. 

jhough
Community Participant

I absolutely agree with the original post. Also, we had a situation today where a new student joined the class. The teacher wanted them to start fresh with the new module they were starting, but we had to go through and quickly do each piece for that student. Not hard, just time consuming and a bit irritating. She acknowledges that she could take off the requirements, but with the distance learning situation, she wanted some of her original students to still work through things. 

bstanley
Community Explorer

Are 855  a lot of votes?  It looks like about 94% in the positive column.  What is the criteria for it to be acted on?

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

I am happy to vote for this feature. Looks like the idea in the link is archieved.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

It looks like all of us now have to give 5 stars to this idea to re-vote?  I am not sure how things are working in the new community, if the votes from the old community are still counted somewhere.  Since we are now using ratings, it would be important to re-rate all the ideas you've supported. 

If the old votes are still being counted please let us know, thanks.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Could we also have modules prerequisites be forgiven by section as well as by individual?

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Yes, community has changed to a newer style where I am not able to access most of the links too.

Has this happened to anyone, Revoting the idea into development phase or at least beta looks pretty challenging now, esp with the continued idea.

mckeppner
Community Novice

To have a way of students who enter class late as transfers to bypass the previously required and tasks that are to be completed sequentially

lsmith129
Community Participant

Please consider this! I have one student who has been unable to unlock a module through no fault of his own - the only way around it (says Canvas) is to unlock it for EVERYONE which totally defeats the purpose of setting up the module progressions in the first place. 

michelle_souvan
Community Participant

This would be such a helpful for differentiating for our special education learners