Update course links when the name is changed

0 Likes
(1)

As courses are being built, changes in the names of pages and assignments often have to be slightly altered. It would nice if anything that was linked to that page or assignment would automatically recognize the change and maintain the link. It takes so much time to go back and relink things. 

Tags (2)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@debbie_johnson1  You're referring to updating just the names of the links within pages and perhaps other places that use the RCE, is that right? I ask because I have an assignment that is linked within a module; when I edited the name of the assignment, the new assignment's name automatically displayed in the module.

While the name of the assignment didn't update in a page where I had linked it, the link itself still correctly directed.

Are there other locations (perhaps in a discussion description) where the new name doesn't update?

debbie_johnson1
Community Explorer

If there is something linked from one page to another page or assignment in canvas, the link does not stay once the name is changed. Or if a file or image name changes or if the location of the file or image is moved in Files, you have to update the link to the file or image.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@debbie_johnson1  I have tested this multiple times and cannot reproduce what you've described. If the name of an assignment is changed, the link is retained wherever it has previously been placed (although as I said earlier, the name won't update on the existing links).

I just tested what you described about what happens when a user moves an image, specifically by embedding an image onto a page and then moving the image file to a different folder in Files; the image remained intact. That was one of the features that endeared my school to Canvas when we were doing our trial and pilot; unlike other LMSs with which we had worked, files and images could be moved within the Files area without disturbing existing links to those assets.

If you are having to recreate previously-created links, I recommend that you work with Canvas Support to find out why, because this is not designed behavior.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived