Update "Copy To" so Only Current Courses are Listed

0 Likes

When a teacher attempts to copy an assignment from one course to another, all courses that the teacher has been enrolled in (including past, unpublished courses) are listed by default. This makes it very confusing for the teacher to copy work from one course to another, especially if the teacher has been teaching the same course for several years. 

Currently to copy work, a teacher would have to open the course that he/she wants to copy the work to, grab the SIS ID, then go back to the course that he/she wants to copy the work from and paste the SIS ID there to copy the work.

This is an unnecessary step, prior to a recent update only current courses were shown by default. Since it is not usual/likely for teachers to copy work from a current course to a past course, it would be logical and more user friendly is only current courses were listed by default and if a teacher wanted to copy work into a past course, the teacher would have to grab the SIS ID from the past course.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@Deestheman Thanks for sharing this idea. Our engineers are already aware of this issue and are working on changing the design to alleviate it. As this doesn't need to move forward for community consideration, we've archived the idea.

hw65
Community Member

This is driving me batty too! Along with my colleagues. Once you are are looking at an assignment, it took 6-8 clicks in order to copy it to a new place. Now, I have to either memorize the course ID number and search for it or scroll for days in order to find my current courses. Have been using Canvas since 2013 and have a ton of options for archived previous years. Even just having this set to reverse chronological order would save a lot of time! Even better if we could pick which classes show there like in our favorited/starred courses but at least reversing the order, please!