Update the process of changing content in Commons

(6)

We would like to use Commons as a repository for individual content modules that we can reuse across courses. In the current settings, only the person who sent the content from a Canvas course to Commons can update the content in Commons, but in our case, we have a few people responsible for updating course content.

For example, we have a course on database design which is geared toward developers who will be administering databases. We also have software development courses where the learners only need a bare-bones understanding of relational databases and SQL. We would like to reuse only the first couple of modules from the database course in the developer courses. As it is now, when we import those two modules into the developer course, we create a copy that needs to be maintained in both places (for errata, especially). And then we have a client who wants to include the basic SQL module only with Linux, so we have yet another copy to maintain. Blueprints help reduce the number of copies we have to maintain, but it would be much easier if we had a single source of those modules that we can drop into courses as needed rather than multiple copies across Blueprints.

Commons would also be useful as a way of letting a SME see our existing content catalog without having to enroll him/her in multiple courses to see modules on different topics. The SME could simply pick and choose the modules and we would build a Blueprint for that course using only the selected modules.

Associating Commons updates to a single user rather than to a role seems fragile to me, especially in the current climate. If I "own" content in Commons but I am suddenly not able to work for an extended period of time, someone else would have to use my login to make those updates. A workaround would be to create a Canvas account as "Commons owner" and allow multiple people to use that account to create and update content, but then we lose the ability to see which user made those updates. There should at least be an option at the account owner level to allow admins to update Commons content, rather than restricting all updates to individual users across the board. 

4 Comments
dtod
Community Contributor

"Associating Commons updates to a single user rather than to a role seems fragile to me, especially in the current climate. If I "own" content in Commons but I am suddenly not able to work for an extended period of time, someone else would have to use my login to make those updates."

+1000

This is so, so terrible and breaks structured and intentional content sharing.

JimmyW
Community Explorer

I agree, should be associated with a role not a single person.

kristiebigler
Community Member

Agreed!  Additionally, as an admin we are often asked to import content into someone's course.  It would help a lot if I didn't have to enroll in the course first.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.