Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This is now completed for mobile and web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15857-canvas-release-notes-2018-11-17 

204 Comments
johnmartin
Community Champion

@james_wallerste ,  @steve_simpson , and  @scottdennis ,

I'm told by one of our more innovative early adopters, mortonanngernsbacher, that students get the same image upload options that instructors do if students are in a group space. So, (maybe?) if you make one "group assignment" with all the students in the same group, this will work?

Yes, it's a ridiculous workaround for a seemingly-simple feature. 

sknaub2695
Community Novice

I am using Canvas for the first time this semester and find the inability to embed an image from my computer directly into a discussion very challenging. I use Blackboard for another class and it allows me to choose an image on my computer to embed in a discussion without having to upload the file first. From what I've seen of Canvas, it is much more user-friendly than Blackboard...except for the lack of this feature.

Mind Blown

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I don't use Canvas discussions (my students blog... and their blogs are FULL of images, video if they want, audio, etc.), but if I wanted something like a discussion space, I would use Padlet.

It is completely easy to create a group padlet where students can share images, text, video, etc.

I know people are used to discussion boards because the LMS has had them from the start... but for students today, do discussion boards feel like a real conversation online, the way they are used to having conversations online?
I don't think so.

Yes, students should be able to quickly and easily add images to discussion board posts, but really, Canvas just needs to rethink the whole idea of how people "discuss" online in the year 2017. IMO.

For more about Padlet, just search the community:

https://community.canvaslms.com/search.jspa?q=padlet 

Has anybody used Notebowl yet? I am very curious about that integration also!

steve_simpson
Community Novice

I see the Canvas strategy.  They won't update a feature that users want just long enough to let practice and technology eventually pass that feature by.  

momillard
Community Novice

Agreed.  I am at least thankful to "sort of" have the functionality in Canvas to "sort of" easily upload/embed an image into a forum post.  However, as an online instructor and someone who helps design and develop online courses and programs, and someone who supports our online students, I feel as though the instructor method for doing this is convoluted at best, considering what a ubiquitous and basic feature this is in all other systems on the web in 2010... Oh wait, it IS currently 2017 isn't it!?  

I sincerely hope this gets implemented soon so I don't have send out our three page documentation to our faculty and students on how to do something that has become an intuitive afterthought in so many other online systems.

arovner
Community Contributor

Padlet is a fun tool but it's important to note that it has a ways to go re: accessibility.  Here's Padlet's accessibility info which mostly says - we are working to improve this but no dates given for expected improvements. 

Amy

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

This is why I prefer to use a variety of tools, letting the students choose the tools that work best for them. Blogs have worked really well as a solution for my classes, and the students choose their own blogging platform. I try not to put all my eggs in one basket: many eggs, many baskets, much flexibility. We all get to learn a lot that way.

johnmartin
Community Champion

Ha!  @steve_simpson , I've wondered that too. Smiley Wink Keep the pressure up!

johnmartin
Community Champion

laurakgibbs, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I love your teaching with Canvas! I've been trying to embed a Wordpress blog into one of my courses with iframes, but can't. I wonder if it's an option that's turned off at our institution. I'll be digging in more because if I learned anything from you, it's ... 252066_pastedImage_4.png

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Ha ha,  @johnmartin , the cats and I are here to help! 🙂

The first thing to check with iframe is always HTTPS. Canvas requires HTTPS for iframe to work.

I use Inoreader a lot, and it does not default to HTTPS, but HTTPS is available; I just have to manually make the change in the URL.

With WordPress, HTTPS availability depends on your webhosting service. We have a great Reclaim Hosting / Domain of One's Own project, so we can turn on HTTPS on those domains. I think I read somewhere that all WordPress.com domains now have HTTPS by default (and so does Blogger, which is such a big plus for me!).

I'm glad to help troubleshoot some more; you can DM me here, or start a question/discussion somewhere.

Iframe is such a superpower, and I just read that the new Google Sites is going to allow iframe now; a lot of my students use Google Sites, so I am excited about that! I just read that yesterday at the Twitterz, and I have not had time to check it out. Yet. 🙂