Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This is now completed for mobile and web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15857-canvas-release-notes-2018-11-17 

204 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

That's funny you say 'rocket science' as we teach the subject.    By the way, have you seen any of the rocket launches with the boosters that actually land so they can be reused?    That sure is out of the box thinking.

fvansaun
Community Participant

I agree completely, there are a handful of issues I have with Canvas that can be taken care of through expensive third party integrations, that really seem to be functions that just should be in the Canvas package. The embedding of images in discussion posts and the ability to record the screen and voice in Speedgrader (why my students would want  to be looking at me while I described what went wrong in their paper is beyond me), are my top two. Neither of them is "new technology", why is it taking so long?

If we have to subscribe to additional services in order to create the "ease of use" that one finds on other digital platforms, in Canvas, they are leaving the door open for institutions to switch LMS's when one comes along that integrates all of this without needing additional subscriptions. We are always in a budget crunch, and I am always weighing faculty & student needs with costs.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Freya,

I don't in any way want to minimize your concerns - this has been a long running thread about a long running limitation.  I did, however, want to point out that the two specific issues you mentioned - students being able to add images to discussions and being able to do screen recordings in SpeedGrader are both part of the work slated for Project Khaki.

Kind Regards,

SD

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I was wondering about that,  @scottdennis ‌ : the file image drag-and-drop WILL apply to students also? I was not sure. That will be a big plus!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Laura,

Unless I am mistaken, the goal is to change the way all users can drag and drop images to the rich content editor which will replace the current system in which the student role is not able to add images, so in net effect, yes I believe this will include students.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

That sounds GREAT! 🙂

fvansaun
Community Participant

Hi Scott,

Thank you you for letting us know! Do you think that we may be hearing about their launch in July at InstructureCon? I can already hear the chorus of relieved sighs rippling through my classrooms and faculty lounge. Looking very forward to being able to announce these changes when they happen.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Freya,

As for looking very forward to being able to announce these changes, I can heartily relate to that.  

"Rich Content Editor: File/Image Drag & Drop" and "SpeedGrader Screen Recorder" are both slated for development after Instructurecon 2018.  Usually we don't like to comment on when things will be released until they are done and through QA and we can deliver on promises made, but both updates are slated for development.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

Fabtastic news! Get startet! 🙂

fvansaun
Community Participant

Thank you Scott!

I’m so glad to hear this, I won’t pass the info on to my faculty until it is in beta to avoid the “are we there yet?” syndrome, but I’m really pleased to know it’s coming.

Sent from my iPhone

Freya Van Saun

Coordinator of Online and Blended Learning

New York School of Interior Design

170 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021

646-935-5471