Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This is now completed for mobile and web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15857-canvas-release-notes-2018-11-17 

204 Comments
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Totally agree! With vendors, alt-text might be the best we can hope for... and in the end, it is really going to be up to educators to do the heavy lifting. But it is worth it! And everybody benefits. 🙂

kmobbs
Community Novice

I was fairly shocked that images couldn't be loaded directly in the editor window.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

Spot on!

Ståle

Canvas Community <https://community.canvaslms.com/?et=watches.email.idea_comment>

Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

new comment by Kevin Mobbs<https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kmobbs@jsu.edu> View all comments on this idea<https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1053-upload-an-image-directly-to-a-discussion-as-a-student?commentID=116980#comment-116980>

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

hmmmmm

jamejustsayin'

abock
Community Novice

I agree with this petition

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This is completed for mobile, but still on radar for web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

momillard
Community Novice

Thank you for the update on this long standing open idea.

Can you provide an estimate for when the web feature will be implemented.  Also, should the Idea technically be marked as "complete" and "developed and deployed" since it is technically still not complete for the web?

Thanks,

~Mark

khirschmann1
Community Novice

In my view it is not completed, it's not even half done.  As you pointed out they provided a mobile-only feature which in no way provides a comprehensive solution.  Many students don't use the mobile app, and most of our students do their work on a desktop, especially discussion posts because the discussion tool on the mobile app is terrible.  This idea doesn't even mention anything about mobile in its description, so this "solution" isn't even for this idea.  Marking this completed is misleading, even if technically this is still on the radar for web.

fvansaun
Community Participant

I agree with Kenny, this idea is not completed if it is only available for the mobile app (where one was always able to upload screen shots saved in your photos directly to the discussions). The discussion threads are actually pretty much un-view-able on a phone when they have more than just a few images embedded in them because of the processing power of a phone. I actually tell students only to use the app for discussions if they are using their phone to record a video clip, otherwise they should not bother as almost all of our discussions include sharing images. 

Clearly the request for this functionality was based on a need students have when using Canvas on the full desktop version, not for students using the app. Please do not list this as completed when it has not in fact been.

PS. The complications/struggles students have with embedding images is the most frequent topic for complaints received on technology surveys at our institution, regrading Canvas. That the problem is still not solved is really disturbing.

amassals
Community Member

I'm really shocked. I've been teaching for over a year now on Canvas and uploading an image to discussions has been a major problem...for both students and myself. Sometimes I don't want to upload an image to my Files first, I just want to post something for students to see, like an information image that I don't need to save.

And students are so frustrated by this process. I had to make a video to show them how to do it. Please work on this CANVAS!

Andrea Massalski

Adjunct Instructor

Photography Department, V69

City College of San Francisco

50 Phelan Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94112