Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This is now completed for mobile and web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15857-canvas-release-notes-2018-11-17 

204 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@momillard , khirschmann,  @fvansaun ,  @amassals  

Thank you so much for your feedback and perspectives.  Given the totality of the information we have on this feature we are going to mark it as complete.  The current functionality is in mobile (Student & Teacher) at this time and we continue to work on it in web.  I do not have an ETA for web yet, but we will update this thread when we have more information.  

fvansaun
Community Participant

I am afraid that Canvas has confused two issues. This feature request was made in hopes of solving a very frustrating issue that students have when embedding images while using a desktop or laptop. Not a phone. We are a design school and probably 80% of the images students share are generated by them digitally on their PCs.

In addition, the issue which Canvas has addressed in the app was actually a problem created in their last major app update where students no longer had access to their Camera, so they couldn’t share any kind images at all through the app. While I’m glad that Canvas addressed this, it has nothing to do with what we have been begging for in THIS feature request.

Please reconsider closing this request, it has absolutely not been completed.

Sent from my iPhone

Freya Van Saun

Coordinator of Online and Blended Learning

New York School of Interior Design

170 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021

646-935-5471

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Freya,
Thank you for checking back and clarifying. We are aware that there is still an ongoing issue with students' ability to add images to discussions from a browser. We have marked this feature idea as complete because there is currently one way for students to accomplish this. That does not mean that we won't continue to work on improving the browser experience for students. Even though this idea is marked complete will will continue to post updates here as we learn more from our product team about future improvements.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you again for your patience as we work on the web solution (mobile is already available).  The web solution is developed, however we are not releasing it at this time because it is not fully accessible.  Once the solution is accessible we will (joyfully) release it and update this thread!  Keep following for more updates.

I will move this idea back to the 'in development' stage so that you'll have an appropriate trigger to catch your attention when it's released to web.

johnmartin
Community Champion

Thanks for the update  @Renee_Carney ! This is very good news! Thanks also to the development team! This will make a difference in our instructors' use of the Discussion forum for active, personally-relevant, learning!

ChrisMedina
Community Participant

Wow can we get some traction on this? been 3 years already.

jdavis6
Community Novice

This has to happen...its been three years since the original post...what is the hold up?

jdavis6
Community Novice

Mobile doesn't not appear to be working (although it was said to be ready in 2015). Just tried to upload and it said I reached my storage limit...I've never posted. This has got to be fixed ya'll.

jdavis6
Community Novice

Disclaimer: I was trying to upload through the canvas app. It may work on a phone, but the canvas app does not work.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I share the frustration: I'm participating in a Canvas-based book club right now which is using the discussion boards, and that means I have to upload images to imgur, and then link to imgur to get the images to appear. No wonder most people don't bother to include images... but what's a discussion without images, eh? I hope there will be some progress on this; given how heavily people rely on the DIscussion Boards in Canvas, anybody using the Discussion Board (on their phone, on their desktop, wherever) should be able to upload images like we can do here. Discussions are better with images! 🙂

screenshot of discussion with image