Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a student, I want to be able to upload an image directly to a discussion. I can only do this today using a cludgy, two-step workaround: (1) upload the image to my personal files, then (2) use the content-picker in the discussion-response window to select the image from my files. Instructors can upload images directly to discussions. Students can upload images directly to other parts of Canvas. Seems odd that this use case requires a workaround.

transferred from the old Community
Originally posted by: Sunny Washington
Thank you especially for contributions by: T Beasley, Stefanie Sanders

Comments from Instructure

This is now completed for mobile and web.

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Student Release Notes (Android 6.3) 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15857-canvas-release-notes-2018-11-17 

204 Comments
millerjm
Community Champion

My husband is taking  courses and last week asked me how he could embed an image in a discussion post from an image on his computer for an assignment.  I had to walk him through the painful process.  I had to show him again last night how to do it because he forgot. 

He wonders how Canvas doesn't know how bad it is and why I haven't suggested that they make improvements.  I showed him this feature idea.  He says he doesn't understand why it hasn't been fixed.  And says he has already forgotten how to embed it and I'll have to walk him through it next time.  

@Renee_Carney ‌:  Is there any update on how development is going to make this accessible so that it can be released?  Thank you!

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

@millerjm  For what it's worth, I think imgur is the easiest way to do it. That's what I do anyway.

Go to imgur.com, upload image.

Right-mouse click on uploaded image to open in new tab.

Does it look good? Then copy the address you see, for example:

https://i.imgur.com/tjx4U6A.jpg 

Click on image icon in Canvas editor.

Paste in that address.

Messing with Canvas Files system is just too much trouble IMO.

canvas text editor_ add image by URL

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

With all due respect.

I am a "drveloper" for the open source .

I was " moderated" because , like Trump..I opined..this should have been taken careally of..whathis the date. 2016..it was then 2017 .it is NOW. 2018

AND THIS US NOT FIXED?

WHAT!!!??

SUPPOSEDLy open source can be fixed quickly by ",the community of volunteers."

Guess not..

But..a 'little old lady" who. "U don't know nuthin 'but no computers. " a hillbilly bohunk..

"Shared" the pic to the folder I made in modules.

Stoopud hillbilly wummin!

THE POLITICALLY CORRECT LINUX REPLY WAS.

" OH..You have encountered a KNOWN bug.."

JUST ACCOMPLISH THESE TWENTY LINES OF INSTRUCTION..

WHAT??!

If you receive an auto reply it is because i have no signal or am scuba. Smiley Happy

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi James.

Not sure if you saw this, so I'll refer you back to my comment here:

Thank you again for your patience as we work on the web solution (mobile is already available).  The web solution is developed, however we are not releasing it at this time because it is not fully accessible.  Once the solution is accessible we will (joyfully) release it and update this thread!  Keep following for more updates.

I will move this idea back to the 'in development' stage so that you'll have an appropriate trigger to catch your attention when it's released to web.

jdavis6
Community Novice

Honestly that is far to complicated. You should be able to click the embed icon and select images from wherever, but most importantly your desktop. Having to create your own file folder with images or exit the discussion board to upload an image in the discussion board is so 2011. Its 2018 people. I love everything else about Canvas. As bad as this one thing is, it is still a Cadrillion light years better than Blackboard! But as a photography professor, this is extremely frustrating for me and for my students. It lengthens their time investment by quite a bit.

amassals
Community Member

Hi Jud and Canvas Developers,

I couldn't agree more. I also teach photography and you can't use your mobile device for the images that need to be uploaded. That would be another work around. 

And what about when you just want to send a picture to a student to clarify how something should be done? It is just so frustrating to have to upload it to files, which gets stuffed with little screenshots, and then go back to Discussions to import the image. Why can't I just get it from my Desktop like Jud says?

I so can't wait for this feature. I hope a BIG announcement will be sent when this very important task is achieved. Kudos to the people who will develop this!

tbrooks
Community Member

We were very early Canvas adopters--we piloted the software in spring 2011.

Our photography instructor has been asking for this feature since the

beginning and we have lost all hope of ever getting it. I've had to move

on. Sorry to be jaded and bitter. : )

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 11:49 AM, jdavis@fhu.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

amassals
Community Member

Hi Joni,

This is so true and a great case study. I made a video on how to do this and refer to students to it when they forget.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

This is urgent! Go for it!

Mvh Ståle

27. sep. 2018 kl. 19:00 skrev tbrooks@panola.edu<mailto:tbrooks@panola.edu> <instructure@jiveon.com<mailto:instructure@jiveon.com>>:

Canvas LMS Community <https://community.canvaslms.com/?et=watches.email.idea_comment>

Upload an image directly to a discussion as a student

new comment by TR BROOKS<https://community.canvaslms.com/people/tbrooks@panola.edu> View all comments on this idea<https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1053-upload-an-image-directly-to-a-discussion-as-a-student?commentID=127957#comment-127957>

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

@jdavis6  All I can say is that it is less complicated that coping with Canvas Files, which is why I shared the idea here. I don't even use the discussion boards at all, and this is one of many reasons why. 

I prefer using blogs; students can create content and share with real tools that way. 🙂

And listen, if your students are photography students, couldn't you have them use Flickr? If they had their portfolios in Flickr, the Canvas-Flickr integration is pretty good. Not great, but it's better than nothing!