Use of Stylus with DOCViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This idea is applicable to any 2-in-1 / hybrid device with stylus capacity eg Chromebook, Surface Pro 4, Yoga, ASUS etc.

Microsoft's recent education event (May 2017) highlighted the increasing opportunities for schools to invest in low cost 2-in-1 hybrids running Windows 10. Since then at least 5 new devices have been released - 5 Budget Windows Hybrids 2-in-1 Tablets and Laptops for Schools – Colour My Learning . Many schools, including our own, are now looking at these as viable alternatives to 1-1 iPads.

The potential of inking is huge, not just in the hands of students but for teachers and marking.

Canvas has just released DOCViewer in Beta. As yet it is not possible to annotate work inline using the stylus (at least on my Surface Pro).

We would love to see inking/hand-written/stylus based annotations being available for those using Canvas via the browser.

This idea has been added to our product plan for Q1 2019 and will influence development within Canvas. Follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

:smileyinfo: Adding this idea to our product plan means we will be working on it, but it does not guarantee that it will be developed exactly as defined by the idea, or that it will be added to the production environment.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16 .

139 Comments
reichard
Community Explorer

I agree, and don't forget the broader "general" use of market share is not the same distribution at higher education sites. Surface Pro and 2-1 windows units are a significant segment in universities, at least at my institution.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

My other concern is with the rise of OneNote and how the stylus is being used to actively promote this product. There are many aspects of OneNote that challenge staff wider use of Canvas and the sooner this functionality comes to Windows tablets the better.

cdgray
Community Member

With the rise of Microsoft products in education, it is only a matter of time before more educators are using Windows PCs. 

If Instructure is unwilling to add functionality for Windows Ink users, they should at least allow us to choose between Crocodoc and DocViewer.

I'm already looking for other options for LMSs since I can't ink directly on submissions. Microsoft Teams is looking pretty good right now. (Free with an edu account and now houses Microsoft Classroom features).

locke
Community Novice

No, it is not just your college.  I see more Windows devices than MacOS or iOS or Android devices.  

I really hope they fix this issue, since I used to be able to comment clearly with the stylus of my Surface Pro 4 in Canvas.  Up until the switch in Speedgrader from Crocdoc to DocViewer inthe Summer of 2017.  I couldn't believe that that functionality was lost in the system between the Spring 2017 semester and the Fall 2017 semester.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Needs votes people, past the 100 mark, if the idea is to go anywhere....

luc_vancauwenbe
Community Member

Can we ask colleagues to vote on this feature idea? Every vote counts? 

RobDitto
Community Champion

@luc_vancauwenbe ‌, yes, I routinely ask my institution's colleagues and Canvas Community friends to consider voting on feature ideas.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@GideonWilliams ‌, about a year ago this time, we changed how the ideation process works, and the 100-vote threshold no longer applies. You can read more about that in How does the feature idea process work? 

luc_vancauwenbe
Community Member

Hi stefaniesanders‌,

How is this feature request catalogued at the moment? It has been created more than 6 months ago.. 

I'm glad that this feature request process at Instructure exists, it can give input on issues and out-of-the-box ideas from various user groups or individuals. However, this feature, to me, is a must-have when wanting to enable teachers to go completely digital when correcting/commenting/grading assignments. You just can't expect teachers to write comments with their fingers or, as suggested by Canvas support, with a mouse. It should be in the product by default (based on user input here, it actually has been included in the product!?) At this moment Instructure is almost saying to print-out assignment documents, correct/comment on paper and upload these back as a comment. Not a great user experience...

I'm wondering.. what are the regional (US/Europe/...) statistics on device usage for Canvas LMS? Is that really all Android and iOS? Is there a difference between teachers and students? A difference between Canvas features?

Best Regards,

Luc

#windows 10#stylus#laptop#2-in-1#speedgrader draw comments

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Good question,  @luc_vancauwenbe ! After an idea reaches its initial six-month voting life, it is evaluated as described in the document: "Ideas are open for six months. Following six months, ideas in the top 10th percentile of vote will remain in the general forum. Ideas in the bottom 90th percentile will be archived and moved out of the general forum, which makes room for new ideas. The archive process will occur monthly, on the first Wednesday of each month." This idea continues to make the cut and remains in the general forum. Ideas are reviewed regularly by our product team, and as updates become available, they're posted as a comment to the idea—so please continue to follow the idea to your inbox to keep on top of comments.