Use of Stylus with DOCViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This idea is applicable to any 2-in-1 / hybrid device with stylus capacity eg Chromebook, Surface Pro 4, Yoga, ASUS etc.

Microsoft's recent education event (May 2017) highlighted the increasing opportunities for schools to invest in low cost 2-in-1 hybrids running Windows 10. Since then at least 5 new devices have been released - 5 Budget Windows Hybrids 2-in-1 Tablets and Laptops for Schools – Colour My Learning . Many schools, including our own, are now looking at these as viable alternatives to 1-1 iPads.

The potential of inking is huge, not just in the hands of students but for teachers and marking.

Canvas has just released DOCViewer in Beta. As yet it is not possible to annotate work inline using the stylus (at least on my Surface Pro).

We would love to see inking/hand-written/stylus based annotations being available for those using Canvas via the browser.

This idea has been added to our product plan for Q1 2019 and will influence development within Canvas. Follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

:smileyinfo: Adding this idea to our product plan means we will be working on it, but it does not guarantee that it will be developed exactly as defined by the idea, or that it will be added to the production environment.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16 .

139 Comments
luc_vancauwenbe
Community Member

In the release notes it is mentioned there is indeed no beta environment support.

306394_pastedImage_1.png

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good spot. Must remember to look at this more closely!

locke
Community Novice

My apologies.  I did get my surface pen to work on the first document I test. Later, I discovered that it was only because that full document fit in the speedgrader "window".  Meaning there were no scroll bars.  In that case, my pen worked.  When I tried to make a video/screencapture and used a different document, the pen did the normal "I'll make it seem like you can write, but I'll scroll instead and give you some weird jaggedy line." 

So, it is not actually working for me yet.

The great joy I had felt about this functionality returning after its June 2018 departure left my body.  But, I am eagerly counting down the next 8 days in anticipation.

I'll check on Feb 16 and if it works, I'll make a short screencapture to share with my colleagues and can post a link here.  If it doesn't work....  

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good to know - was worried I'd been doing something wrong for ages!!!

locke
Community Novice

Hmmm... tried it in Canvas and it is not currently working.  Is there a time of day for deployment?  Or is there something our system administrators need to actively do to get this working in our Canvas?

locke
Community Novice

Anyone have this working yet?  It is currently not working in my local Canvas and I checked it in the https://canvas.instructure.com environment where anyone can create a free account.

gharbor
Community Participant

Nope.. I just tested it this morning and the pen functionality still is a mess. as soon as you lift your pen the SpeedGrader completes that text input and displays the "Delete" icon rather than you being able to continue writing..

(Using Windows 10 with latest chrome and Windows Pen.)

#NotHappy

gbaxley
Community Member

Hello,

I appreciate that Canvas is pursuing a solution to this problem, but things appear to be worse, not better. I used to be able to clumsily draw a few letters or numbers in speedgrader with a pen on my Surface tablet, but now it's more like using an Etch a Sketch after a couple of beers. I tried Chrome and Firefox, Win 10, 5th gen Surface with the stock Surface pen for that model.  

luc_vancauwenbe
Community Member

I can now annotate with my surface pen, but the experience is still not as it is supposed to be. Indeed, once you lift up the pen, it suppose acting as it schould. Also, the platform makes no distinction between your finger and the pen, it makes using your touch screen not very straightforward... How was this tested by Instructure? They must have noticed themselves that this was not working?

cc_armidale
Community Novice

Not working for me either. The stylus on my Lenovo touchscreen is laggy, the lines jagged and the "writing" keeps going even when I lift the stylus from the screen. In short, I think it may be worse than before the upgrade. At least I could create a basic tick, previously.

SpeedGrader needs to recognise that it should stop writing when you lift your stylus or finger. If I use a mouse, right-clicking stops the writing, so I guess I may be able to find a button on my stylus to do the same.

To all intents and purposes, though, this is not yet functional. Oh well, back to the drawing board. (Or not, as the case may be ...)