Use of Stylus with DOCViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This idea is applicable to any 2-in-1 / hybrid device with stylus capacity eg Chromebook, Surface Pro 4, Yoga, ASUS etc.

Microsoft's recent education event (May 2017) highlighted the increasing opportunities for schools to invest in low cost 2-in-1 hybrids running Windows 10. Since then at least 5 new devices have been released - 5 Budget Windows Hybrids 2-in-1 Tablets and Laptops for Schools – Colour My Learning . Many schools, including our own, are now looking at these as viable alternatives to 1-1 iPads.

The potential of inking is huge, not just in the hands of students but for teachers and marking.

Canvas has just released DOCViewer in Beta. As yet it is not possible to annotate work inline using the stylus (at least on my Surface Pro).

We would love to see inking/hand-written/stylus based annotations being available for those using Canvas via the browser.

This idea has been added to our product plan for Q1 2019 and will influence development within Canvas. Follow this idea to receive updates as they are available.

:smileyinfo: Adding this idea to our product plan means we will be working on it, but it does not guarantee that it will be developed exactly as defined by the idea, or that it will be added to the production environment.

Read more about the feature idea process:

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16291-canvas-release-notes-2019-02-16 .

139 Comments
khirschmann1
Community Novice

This would be really helpful for writing feedback in a foreign language, such as in Hebrew which doesn't type so easily since it's RTL and a different alphabet.

shaider
Community Novice

I used to be able to use my Surface Book and pen with speedgrader and annotate and grade math assignments.  The interface wasn't perfect but it worked.  Now it is impossible.  A huge step backwards!

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

I did ask when this might be brought back into the new Doc Viewer. Not sure it appeared on any near time scales. Frustrating!

dsartore
Community Novice

please contemplate Apple style interface.  Annotating with a stylus is quicker and provides a richer learning experience...aside from being easier!

smedshammerm
Community Contributor

Our English department would really like to use their Surface Pro styluses to provide feedback in the margins. They could do it with Crocodoc. Let's get this to happen! 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Tried the stylus with our new Surface Pro on the new DOC Viewer and it is pretty grim. Certainly would not recommend using it for anyone.

Are there any plans at all from Canvas to make this happen especially with the increasing number of hybrid devices..

sosara
Community Novice

I teach composition classes and this would really help. 

brifox
Community Novice

I'm pretty new to Canvas, but I've had a SurfacePro for the past 3 yrs that allows me to annotate pretty much anything with my digital ink and I'm bummed out to learn that I can't annotate/comment on student's work in the SpeedGrader area of Canvas. My district just supplied secondary teachers with incredible touchscreen laptops w/active styluses that allow us to comment on student's work in OneNote, but since we're most likely moving to a 1:1 w/Canvas teachers will expect that same ability there. I noticed that this request and follow-up comments were from this past June. Does anyone from Instructure ever respond to these requests? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@brifox , this idea is still open for community consideration. To learn more about how ideas are retained and moved forward for development, please refer to How does the feature idea process work?‌, What is the feature development process for Canvas?‌, and https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2017/09/20/ideas-archiving-anew 

jbrady2
Community Champion

I recently had some instructors ask about this very feature as they are familiar with handwriting comments on a printed document, and they would like to take advantage of the technology but still want to write comments not use comment boxes.