View Assignment details after submissions are closed in Canvas Student App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I place a lot of good content in assignments that is beneficial for students to use and study as we approach final assessments. However, I hate leaving a graded assignment open for submission after two weeks. I refuse to grade work that is over 2 weeks late, so i no longer make it available after that mark. As a result students cannot access the content in the assignment because it becomes locked. But I would still like students to able to access the content in the assignment to help them study (whether they turned it in or not).

This is only a problem in the app. Students can see it through the internet view. However, my students us iPads and most of them use the app verses the internet.

13 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Claudia,

If you put information about an assignment in the description of that assignment, students will still have access to them after the assignment has closed.  For example:

Instructor View:

Screenshot 2016-02-12 12.00.13.png

Student View:

Screenshot 2016-02-12 12.01.26.png

Am I not understanding your request?

Thanks,

Scott

cwells2
Community Novice

I see the confusion. In the app, students cannot access the description of the assignment. It tells them it is locked (my kids have iPads). But if you go in through internet they can access it. I didn't pay that close attention to it.

So I need to modify my feature request to state I would like for them to access assignment description through the app once the assignment has closed.

Cathy Wells

Team 7-3 Science

Sullivan Middle School

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for making that change!  Your idea is now open for voting!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

We recently completed a building-wide student survey. At the end of the survey, we gave students the opportunity to request a feature update or to suggest added functionality to the iOS app (we have 1:1 iPads). An overwhelming number of students asked for easier access to teacher feedback from the app, rather than having to go through the browser. This fits in with that request! Even after teachers will no longer accept work for grading, it is important for students to be able to go back and read content that is associated with these closed assignments and to reflect upon their submission. Yes, this is possible with web, but adding this functionality in mobile would increase efficiency for students and allow them to spend more time learning...rather than bouncing between Canvas formats.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

185763_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Canvas Teacher App.

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

While this is awesome, this is also very important for the future of the student app!

smoss
Community Novice

I also have students who have asked to be able to review the description of the assignment after it has been graded.  This is important to help them study and review.

jozsefdavid
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,
can you please give us a bit more detail? I might misunderstood, but when I tried today, it worked the way you wanted. Let me add a screenshot here. Please help me what did I miss?

File (13).jpg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

This idea was fulfilled with an earlier release of the Canvas Student app. This idea was not marked at the time of the release.