View Previous Global Announcements

It would be nice if there was a link to previous global announcements.  Currently once an announcement is cleared from the dashboard you cannot view it again.  It is annoying to leave them there, but if you clear them they are gone forever.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-08-15) 

14 Comments
timothy_maw
Community Champion

I agree, there should be a way to access global announcements that have been cleared from the dashboard. We use global announcements often and I know there are times students delete them and never look back and forget it was even sent out. Maybe have a link on the top that goes to the global announcements. 

jennifer_conner
Community Novice

I agree that there should be a way to access Global Announcements once they have been cleared from the dashboard. (Meaning they can at least see announcements that are still "active".) I think it would be helpful to view current global announcements, and then also archived announcements. Say there was an issue with students accessing their courses and we post a global announcement stating the impact. An instructor may have a student contest a grade on a quiz because they couldn't access it that day. It would help the instructors to look through the history to see when the announcement was posted to determine whether or not the student should have the exam opened for them.

rachel1
Community Participant

This is an essential feature - so many students log in and don't have the time to sit and read through the announcement and want to go back to it. It would be also good if there was an option to choose for the announcement to emailed out as well.

kristi_miller
Community Novice

May 4 was forever ago, I'm not sure why this feature hasn't been activated yet.  Please create something where students and teachers can get back to those global announcements.  

rachel1
Community Participant

Yes!!!!!

Steven_S
Community Champion

I agree that it is annoying to leave the announcements on the dashboard.  It is also annoying that announcements you do not want to see again can reappear everytime you revisit the dashboard. (There must be a setting for an admin to use...) An archive would be a good solution, as would making the announcements themselves less intrusive.  I've added an idea that might allow the announcements to stay without getting in the way: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15976-minimize-global-announcements-on-dashboard 

tim_ruckle
Community Explorer

Well I just googled to figure out how to do this and am appalled that it's not a feature.

jbelliotti
Community Explorer

Some feature requests are too obvious NOT to approve, regardless of voting. This is one of them.

bryan_bortz
Community Novice

They should just appear in the Canvas inbox somewhere. Be it as a message, or in a special section.

You might think sending emails takes care of it. But there are times where that is way overkill and actually counterproductive/confusing for those who don't need the announcement in their actual email. 

Not having them available just increases the support burden for your clients. And it is extra insulting when the announcement in question is about an issue with Canvas we are working around.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Account Navigation Menu includes a link to Global Announcements, which displays current and recent announcements for the institution. This change allows users to view announcements after they’ve been dismissed from the Dashboard.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-08-15) 

Thanks to everyone who participated in this conversation for sharing your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!