Viewing student progress (draft) for an assignment

I'd like to be able to view how my students are progressing through their assignment. 

Perhaps in the section where students submit their assignments there could be a field added that allows the students to ’Link-share a draft’. They could then paste the link to their working doc (e.g. a Google Doc), allowing the teacher to check progress through Canvas?

I have some students doing this as a work-around by pasting the link in the comments section, but it would be great if there was a dedicated field for this in Canvas. My staff feel that Google classroom is better in terms of viewing progress of student work (although they all feel Canvas is better for overall course curation and marking rubrics)

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jshumack  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Before we move this idea forward for broader consideration, let's explore a possible solution. Many teachers create an assignment (graded or not, depending on the teacher's grading scheme) for students to submit their in-progress work, followed by a second assignment where students are asked to submit the final version that incorporates the feedback the instructor has given them on the first assignment. What are your thoughts about this workflow?

jshumack
Community Novice
Author

I can see how this work-around might suffice but I’d prefer to have the option within the actual assignment. I’d also be worried about confusion around the real submission point and a divergence of details around the task whenever changes are made to one version of the duplicated assignment.

From a practical viewpoint, if students failed to submit something by the due date, I could then still access any shared draft files within that task in Speedgrader to mark something for them. I’d probably (and I do this now) ask students to link-share their working file as soon as the task is started. That way I can monitor progress and have something to mark at the end if they fail to properly upload their final task.

Sent from my iPhone

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jshumack ‌

We'll open this idea for further discussion, and hope that in the meantime you will employ the existing solution.

REINACABEZAS
Community Member

@stef 

Unfortunately, when I can use Google Classroom for free with this capability that does not present a bottle neck in my work flow I fail to see why I would continue to advocate to use Canvas. I was a huge fan because of the Canvas Studio content creation but if you're so hard to work with as a company that you don't listen to your users I don't see why I would continue to advocate for this. Also there are prior posts that contradict what you say here. So I'm still left wondering does Canvas or doesn't it have the capability for me to see my assignments IN PROGRESS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwgKRFgsmRM

It is frustrating to spend so much time on this already. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.