[New Quizzes] Page Breaks in Quiz Structure

When designing a quiz, at the moment we can have either all questions on one page or one question at a time.

It would be useful to group questions together so that different questions appear on different pages.  

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

10 Comments
lbach
Community Participant

I completely agree. With the move to online instruction, having the ability to paginate quizzes for larger exams is really important. Showing all the questions at once can be overwhelming (after all, we don't give students a giant continuous scroll of paper for exams in face-to-face classes), but showing one question at a time could limit the ability to ask nested or related questions. Other LMSs have the ability to present 5, 10, or whatever number of questions at a time, it would be great to be able to do so in Canvas as well.

lcharleu
Community Member

I agree. I'm using the new quizzes + stimulus to present lesson content with questions side by side. It would be great to have one page for each part of the lesson.

darren_ponman1
Community Participant

Agree with above. New Quizzes falls short in several key areas.

Section breaks is a must.

As is ability to add 'non question' section header/instructions. Eg at beginning of section 2, add text advising of requirements for new section.

Individual quiz question results MUST be able to feed into Mastery Learning outcomes. This is only way we can achieve self-marking formative assessment. Would exponentially enhance effectiveness and efficiency of Canvas

david_berk
Community Member

I agree.  This seems very basic.  For example, I want a reading prompt followed by 3-5 related questions on the same page.  Canvas quizzes needs more flexibility in grouping questions together.

rwollner
Community Explorer

Agreed! Headers for sections are absolutely needed. The stimulus is not helpful as we are already using that feature as designed.

rmartini
Community Participant

Adding page breaks in New Quizzes would be very helpful for my institution! I agree with many of the earlier comments. All questions can be overwhelming and one question at a time can be tedious--and may take longer for students to complete the quiz. I work in higher education and our use of quizzes can vary by instructor--from really long final exams, to short weekly quizzes, to using a quiz to present lecture material. The stimulus question type can be helpful in some instances but not all and it would be great to have the flexibility to create pagination. My campus is new to Canvas and it was available in our previous LMS, so it definitely feels like a missing feature as we're transitioning our courses.

khahn1
Community Participant

Yes please! We could do this in Moodle and would really like to be able tod o this within Canvas!

Sukra
Community Explorer

I agree! Page breaks and the possibility to show all attached questions next to a stimulus (rather than on separate pages) is a must! From a motivational perspective, it is detrimental if either all or only one question can be shown. Pedagogically speaking, some questions need to be grouped because they refer to the same question stem. It makes no sense to provide the same stimulus over again for questions that are attached to it.

Please fix this issue as this severely restricts the use of quizzes in Canvas (either classic or new quizzes).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme